Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert

In order to avoid clean install and to.retained installed

Customer Question

In order to avoid clean install and to.retained installed programs, I tried to up grade from xp to vista w.intention to then.install win 7. The vista installation did not finish, and did not successfully revert back to xp. It is in a continual loop and either is.not recognizing the keyboard or drives because I cannot boot from cd (you press any key to boot from cd stage.of start up) I.used desktops and I.had a lot of programs I cannot reinstall so I was trying to avoid the clean install at first. Not my.laptop is.on the blink and.I.need to.get my desktop running. I not. A novice and.had researched this a while back.
Category: Software
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi Walter,
Unfortunately your only option available in this case is to restore the PC to its factory settings, unless you have a cloned copy of the hard drive available?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pete, maybe I was not clear, my question if I cannot boot from disk drive.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont think you are, correct. If I can boot I may be able repair the operating system
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I.mean boot from disk drives
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You can try booting into safe mode and let me know if that lets you in?
However if the installation files are corrupted you will need to use the installation disc to boot from.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's all no go. No safe mode nada. As I said in my original question, I cannot boot from rom drives, this neans I've changed the boot menu to cd dvd first with no success
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Ok, so you have changed the boot menu to boot from CD/DVD first - what CD/DVD are you using?

What does the screen show?