Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

Why are the photos missing in lightroom? the folder has a?

Customer Question

Why are the photos missing in lightroom? the folder has a ? make in it.
Category: Software
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

If you move image files in the Finder (Mac OS) or Explorer (Windows), the link between the files and the Lightroom catalog breaks. When a catalog can't find a photo, Lightroom displays a Photo Is Missing icon () in image cells in the Grid view and the Filmstrip. In the Develop module, Lightroom indicates that the photo could not be found, or is offline or missing.

Follow the steps below to help locate your missing photos and restore links to the catalog.

The message "The file could not be found." appears in the Develop module when the link from the catalog to the photo has been broken.

Links between a catalog and its photos can also break if photos are stored on an external drive that is offline. If the drive is offline, turn it on. If the drive letter has changed, change it back to the letter Lightroom expects.

• (Optional) In the Library module, choose Library > Find All Missing Photos to display missing files in the Grid view.

• Click the Photo Is Missing icon ( or ) in a thumbnail cell in the Grid view.

The Photo Is Missing icon also appears at the bottom of the Histogram panel. You can click it there, too.

A dialog box opens and displays the last known location of the missing photo.

Lightroom asks if you'd like to find the missing photo and tells you where the original was located.

• Click the Locate button, navigate to where the photois currently located, and then click Select.

• (Optional) In the Locate dialog box, select Find NearbyMissing Photos to have Lightroom search for other missing photosin the folder and reconnect them as well.

If an entire folder of photos is missing — the folder is dim in the Folders panel and has a question mark icon () — you can relink all the photos at once by right-clicking (Windows) or Control-clicking (Mac OS) on the folder and choosing Find Missing Folder from the context menu. See Locate missing folders.

I need to know what operating system you have on your device. Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, or do you have a Mac?

Let me know if you found them thru the instructions above. If not, we will go from there.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
    ~Franklin

If the above needs more troubleshooting, let me know.

~Franklin