Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in installing and problem fixing of softwares.
50064670

I am trying to render out images using Mental Ray and

Customer Question

I am trying to render out images using Mental Ray and additionally use "physical sun and sky" to light up backgrounds of images and scenes. I have been researching good standard Mental Ray render settings and how to apply "physical sun and sky" to an image and or rendered out scene.
For some odd reason, whenever I want to render an image with Mental Ray, my image renders out blank even with lights in my workspace. When I try to apply "physical sun and sky" lights to an image, it renders out the effects, but it renders out only a black silhouette of the objects I want to show in the render.
Am I not using the correct render settings in Mental Ray? How do I set these render settings so everything in my scene shows in the images I render?
Category: Software
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 4 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Please follow the steps on this Autodesk KB article. Then refer this tutorial to know more about mental ray lighting and rendering settings. Please refer this Youtube video tutorial also.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I have researched many tutorial videos on this topic, yet unfortunately I am at the point where I need to be walked through the steps manually. Even if I follow the steps from tutorial videos and other source pages, things just don't seem to be working in my favor in this case.
What are the best render settings for Mental Ray and to set up "physical sun and sky" attribute?

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I prefer not to use remote support. Can you please tell me what are the best standard settings for Mental Ray and how can I render out an image with everything visible using "Physical sun and sky" without anything being blacked out?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I send you screenshots of the issue I'm having?

Okay, please send me the screenshots.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
here are the screenshots of the issues I'm having

After creating the physical sky, open your render settings again by clicking the render settings button.

First start with the settings in the Common tab. In the Image Size section set the image size.

Open the Quality tab and go to the Anti-Aliasing Quality section and open theRaytrace/Scanline Quality subsection. Set the Max Sample Level to 2; the Min Sample Level will automatically be set to 0. Anti-aliasing quality controls the smoothness of edges in renders. High settings improve the quality of the render very much, but will increase render time significantly.

In the Features tab, make sure Raytracing and Final Gathering are enabled.

Now the settings are setup to make a render. Press the render button to start rendering.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kindly opt-out, I want to open my question to other Experts. Thank you.