comp_audio
comp_audio, Other
Experience:  20+ years experience with hundreds of software titles and support. I am eager to help you when you need.
44312836

When to auto create a form i get this, Adobe Acrobat DC was

Customer Question

When to auto create a form i get this
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Adobe Acrobat DC was unable to make this document accessible because of the following error:Knowledge source failed. [1]Please note that some pages of this document may have been changed. Because of this failure, you are advised to not save these changes.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: save as pdf print to pdf
JA: The software expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: odd i just created a from fine, then edited the word doc and next time i to create form it does not work
Category: Software
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

Can I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot this issue with you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You there Cody?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am trying to "Prepare Form" in Adobe DC. It works 90% of the time. Every few weeks though i'll convert a word doc to PDF and select Prepare Form and i will get this message:Adobe Acrobat DC was unable to make this document accessible because of the following error:Knowledge source failed. <Gather Form Data> [1]Please note that some pages of this document may have been changed. Because of this failure, you are advised to not save these changes.
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

Have you tried reinstalling at all?

or try a version that is not DC found here; ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/

I would try 11.0.6

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not reader it's adobe DC. Not sure i like your answers. Please refund my money.
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

sorry, will put in the request.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  comp_audio replied 4 months ago.

Are you still wanting assistance or simply want a refund?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If u can fix it without telling me to reinstall I take an answer and if it works u can keep the $36 dollars. I have reinstalled Adobe pro dc 2 times in the last 6 weeks. Some word docs conver to pdf and the prepare form tool works fine. About 15 to 20 % I get the above message.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have Adobe tech support and have an open ticket but no one seems to be able to figure this out except telling to me to reinstall.

I have no intention of telling you to reinstall it as you have clearly already done that. Please try the following on one of the documents that is giving you the error...

Print the document but select "Adobe PDF built-in printer" as the printer, and then run the form wizard on the resulted "printed" PDF. Then get back to me with the results if it worked or not. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have that option to print. I have created a pdf multiple ways including in adobe pro and get same error. Do you want to remote in?

Lets first have you try this...

Can you run it through distiller, and then create a form from it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is distiller

Okay, give me a minute to check something. BRB

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am on a mac and it is a little different
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I open Adobe Pro and go to create pdf by picking a file. I pick the word document and then it makes a pdf.I can create a new word and do this and do form fill fine. The document i am having issues was working last night but then it just started throwing that error. If i start new document and cut and past and recreate pdf same error. Short of retyping i can't figure it out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have manually done what i need to do with the document. However, in the future i would like to be able to rely on the "prepare form" command and would like to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Adobe techs aren't much help either but i do see where others have same issue but nothing posted to resolve which is why i chose to contact you and pay for a solution.

I see. Then it is truly with just the one document then. From my understanding, if you can run the file through Adobe Distiller, it could fix it. I am not sure if there is a trial for Distiller at this time. Let me check and get back to you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's not just this one document. it happens on about 10 to 20% of all forms i try to create so i just do it manually. Some it happens on and some it doesn't.

Is it random? Lets say there is doc 1, doc 2, doc 3 and doc 4. You try with 1 and it works, try with 2 and it fails, try with 3 and it fails, try with 4 and it works. Then try 2 again and it works try again with 4 and it fails...? And are you using Microsoft Word to create the doc files?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Once it fails it will never work again.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on the same document. it's almost like something is corrupting in word before i make the pdf causing it. U know how when you draw a line for text and hit return and it makes a graphic line and then you back space to get the line back. I was thinking that might be it but does not appear that way.

Can you attach one of your affected files here so I can check it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have attached the one that does not work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This one works
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we aren't going to go over the $36 dollar here right?

Okay, give me a few minutes to see what I can find.

Can you send me the word files of these as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sure -

Can you send me the word doc files of those pdf's you sent? In the meantime, here is the one that was NOT working, I ran it through a PDF print, please try it again with this one attached.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yacht form
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
New word doc that works
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your linked file won't download?

Okay, let me try it again...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When i click on the link i get this:NoSuchKeyThe specified key does not exist.comp_audio/af410a4a-bf7a-4470-98af-4c6bb3a08f1b_Yacht+Inspection+Form export to pdf from word.pdf86842AA658BB74EEitYOLO+dlM1EfP/+hWGHhG5ndG1ykFwI7PcLf96fJydYYXpd2ffNcz68qS/JVk5wTBmaaLdQeug=
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok got it and ran form fill and it works! Praise the Lord! So what did you do?

In word, I chose File\Export and chose Export to PDF. Does the Mac version have that capability?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No there is no export option i see. I can do a save as "pdf" but then i run prepare form and it does not work.

Not sure it is the same, but I did find this, and maybe this is already how your doing it anyways, but I wanted to share this with you...

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Save-as-PDF-in-Word-2016-for-Mac-e00b7ed0-6b45-4904-b840-4730d7f1ccd9

Hmm, strange. What version of Office are you running?

Hey are you familiar with Pages?

This is another way, although another step, but might get you the results you want...

Export from Pages for Mac

1. Make sure you have the file you want to export open in Pages.
  2. Choose File > Export To, then select the format. Choose PDF.
  3. From the Export Your Document window, you can choose a different format or set up any additional options. For example, you can select Image Quality for a PDF, or save a Word document in an older file format. You can also password ***** your file.
  4. Click Next.
  5. Enter a name for your file and select a folder to save it to.
  6. Click Export.

Make sure you save your file before closing. If you make any changes after exporting the file to a different format, they only appear in the Pages file you are working in.

You can also click Share > Send a Copy to send a file in a specific format through Mail, Airdrop, Notes, Messages, or Reminders.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the most current version of Word. It checks every week and auto updates.

Try the steps above that for iOS's Pages application and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
never used pages. let me find it. Guess it came loaded on my pc?

I have to ask, Yacht inspection.... so do you have a bunch of Yachts?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wish! I create forms for a broker that charters them. I told him I need to on these inspections to better make forms right!

As far as I Know Pages is built in, but I could be wrong. I am on a PC right now, and do not currently have a MAC, been looking to find one again, but money is tight and they are not cheap.

Yep, good idea, go on one of the inspection "wink" to be better able to create a better form... LOL

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nope super frustrating. I opened word doc in pages and then exported to pdf using pages export command and tried to do prepare form and tosses same error! It's got to be my Adobe Pro DC!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i totally give up. It does not look like you found a solution unfortunately? Can you process the refund?

Well, that is not entirely true my friend. We have found a couple of things actually. It can be your Office installation causing this as well. Sometimes the solution is not always what a person wants, but in the end we now know that if it is generated from a different install of word as we demonstrated, it works as designed. So it might not be Acrobat DC at all. I would suggest you perform a repair of your office installation.

Like I said, sometimes the solution is not the intended solution one wants. I think this is the case here. The issue is found to be one of your two applications. Either DC or Word. Since it works with newly created doc files, I am guessing the ones that are giving you the errors, if re-created (not copy and pasted) but truly re-created would work as needed.

Like I said, I would try a Office repair first, then if that does not work, with the Yacht file, re-create it and try again.