Benimur
Benimur,
13948492

Running Audacity. I need to set up an external mic which is

Customer Question

Running Audacity. I need to set up an external mic which is run through my mixer (USB) but the mic itself is not USB. I can locate the input and output ports on the back of my iMac but what kind of cord/cable do I use here?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Ive had it for a few years but I am really a novice (20+ years on a PC). Mac is like speaking greek
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Gone through all the help sites for Mac and Audacity and my Sternberg mixer. Problem is the Mac is not recognizing my external mic and doesn't want to let me set one up. Seems the only thing missing is the right cable.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no that is it. thanks.
Category: Software
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

Hi Cathryn and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Sternberg mixer..."

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
stein berg UR 12
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

What external mic would be used please?

Have you considered/tried the XLR connector at the front for MIC?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rode NT 1-A
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I have an LXR connector for the mic to the front of my mixer - that doesn't solve the problem of the Mac recognizing an external mic.
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

Sorry but the Rode NT1-A mic would not directly work with the iMac as it needs phantom voltage to operate (not unless there is an add-on power source 24/48 V).

If connected by XLR to the UR12, does the NT1-A work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no it does not.
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked/turned on the "+48V" switch at the back of the UR12?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

Interesting.....

Let's review the basics + the above:

• • increasing INPUT 1 GAIN and speaking to the mic, the PEAK indicator flashes;
  • • plug in a guitar or instrument to HI-Z jack;
  • • increasing INPUT 2 GAIN and playing the guitar/instrument, the PEAK indicator also flashes;
  • • the mic and/or the instrument can be heard using the PHONES;
  • • connecting the LINE OUTPUT to an amplifier or receiver and there is sound.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
increasing INPUT 1 GAIN and speaking to the mic, the PEAK indicator flashes; YES
• plug in a guitar or instrument to HI-Z jack; NO - VOICE ONLY
• increasing INPUT 2 GAIN and playing the guitar/instrument, the PEAK indicator also flashes; N/A
• the mic and/or the instrument can be heard using the PHONES; NO
• connecting the LINE OUTPUT to an amplifier or receiver and there is sound. NOthere computer will not recognize the external mic.Signing off - I need an audio engineer who can make a house call. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Benimur replied 4 months ago.

I understand though I am inclined to suspect the mixer.

Still, good luck with the UR12 and the NT1-A.