swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Steve has many years of experience in software development.
47680681

When copying a file to an SCO Unix NFS fileshare, I get the

Customer Question

when copying a file to an SCO Unix NFS fileshare, I get the message - 'the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the file is no longer valid'. What causes this and is it a difficult fix. I'm using Windows 7 ultimate with the NFS client enabled and the unix fileshare mounted.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: It's an hp desktop with a core-2 duo E7500 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - with service pack 1 installed
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't have a clue where to start
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Software
Expert:  Kevin T replied 4 months ago.

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no Upper or Lower filters on my machine ..... besides, that key deals with a cdrom device from what I see.
Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** tends to read from NFS OK, but has some problems writing to it. Can you use Samba instead? You shouldn't have any issues with SMB instead of NFS.