Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

This morning when I booted up my Windows 10 Pro computer I

Customer Question

This morning when I booted up my Windows 10 Pro computer I got a blue screen with a Windows 10 message that said:
:( Your computer has run into a problem. We will restart if for you. Driver_Power_State_Failure (may not be exact wording). Then it went into Preparing Automatic Repair. Then a screen popped up that said something like Windows Repair will restore to an earlier date when things worked, some apps may be lost. Following this it took a long time and nothing happened. I finally manually restarted by holding the power button on the computer. The boot screen came up and after a long time the Login Screen popped up but disappeared immediately and then it went to what looked sort of like the Safe Mode screen. I Restarted using the Windows Power button on screen. When it restarted, the Restarting screen stayed up for about 10 minutes, then the screen went blank and after awhile the motherboard boot screen came up. After about 1 1/2 minutes the swirly thing for Windows came up on the screen. 12 minutes later the Windows Login screen appeared and my login was successful.Soon there after some pop-ups appeared:
1. Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with you paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified.
2. Performance Options, Advanced tab: Processor scheduling - Choose how to allocate processor resources
Adjust for best performance of: Programs (selected) Background services (not selected)
Virtual Memory: A paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM - Total paging file
size for all drives 32768 MB. There was an option to Change, I just closed the pop-up window.What caused this and what needs to be done to correct it. I am hesitant to shutdown because it takes so long to reboot.
Category: Software
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

I will look into this issue and get back to you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will be awaiting your response.
  1. Log in under a local Administrator account. (Do this after each restart in these instructions as well.)
  2. If it’s already open, open the virtual memory settings by rich-clicking on Computer, →Properties → Advanced System Settings → click the Advanced tab → Under Performance, clickSettings, go to Advanced tab, finally under Virtual Memory section click the Change button.
  3. Uncheck the Autmatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox.
  4. Set a “Custom size” for the paging file on the C drive: 0MB initial, 0MB maximum.
  5. Click OK, close all dialog boxes, and restart your computer.
  6. After logging in again, delete the file C:\pagefile.sys
    1. To do this, you may need to change your folder settings so you can see it first. Open a window of your C: drive and click Organize at the top, then Folder and Search Options
    2. Click the View tab, and make sure Show hidden files, folders and drives is turned on, and that Hide protected system files is not checked.
    3. Click OK and go back to your C: drive, find pagefile.sys and delete it.
  7. Now go back to the virtual memory settings (see step 2 above) and set the paging file for the C: drive to System managed size, and then make sure the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox is checked.
  8. Click OK, close all dialog boxes, and restart your computer.

A summary of what this does: By temporarily turning off virtual memory, you allow yourself to delete the (now-corrupt) paging file. Then when you re-enable virtual memory, Windows automatically builds a new paging file from scratch,

Please try this and let me know this goes !!

Did this worked ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it did not work and I was not able to boot up my computer any longer. I had to disconnect the CPU and take it to a computer service center. They were able to get it to boot up and then made modifications that repaired the problem. I am sorry to say I was not pleased with JustAnswer this time.

No Problem. I am happy that your problem is resolved.