Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Software expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I need help on a video posted that I own

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

Hello. What's the issue with your video.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I purchased a film from a private party several years ago it's about Judy Garland performed in Houston Texas the original seller took a video of the film as projected on a screen I sent this to a friend in California for his eye only now it appears on YouTube it's of poor quality version version a potential buyer notified me of its posting on YouTube which was 4 years ago the film was expensive and I'm trying to sell it the person that posted it knew better than to do so all copyrights have run out I know I'm the sole owner ofthis piece
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm very unhappy about this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want it removed or I will like to prosecute him
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made a formal complaint but I'm not sure if it was a proper thing to do
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would be happy to cancel that complained if it was removed
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

OK. This sounds like a legal issue. Your question was placed in the wrong category. Could you please change the category to Contract Law and someone should be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay could you help me with that how do I do it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've already paid the necessary fee
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

Ok just a moment.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much I really appreciate it
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I've informed a Supervisor that the question should be placed under legal. You can also send an email to***@******.***.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok well in the meantime before I contacted you I placed the complaint
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

OK. Sorry you encountered an issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there anyway I could speak to someone
Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

Yes, but your question first needs to go to the correct group.

Expert:  Yvette replied 5 months ago.

do you see an option to change the category?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 months ago.

You just need to submit a copyright takedown notice and youtube will remove it.

Just go to the following page and click submit a copyright claim.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2807622?hl=en

As far as taking legal action against the person who posted it you would likely want to ask a lawyer but from the technical end of this you just need to fill out the claim to get it removed from youtube.

Please take a moment to click the stars at the top, 3 or more please to acknowledge I have answered you. If you need more help you may reply back.

Thank you,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I should take the fair use route...I am not sure...the original 16MM filmstock was from a tv station in tx. 1961 I purchased the film and want to sell it but it's posted on youtube in a video of the movie screen making it a disaster
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 months ago.

Your first move should be to get it removed from youtube, try that form in the link I gave you above. Youtube is pretty good about removing movies from the site. After it is removed then you can go ahead and sell it.

Like I mentioned though, I do not know all of legal ends of things just the technical, so if you own the rights to this film and it is on youtube you can get it removed. Even if someone else owns the right you can still report it and get it removed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Chris but the link takes me back to the copyright complaint form...is that the right area? I already posted a copyright complaint....I seem to be getting nowhere here.....
Expert:  Chris L. replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure when you posted the complaint but they do take awhile to act on it so I would not expect a quick response.

A couple other options for getting removed are to send the person who uploaded it a message which you can do on their youtube page and tell them that you will take action against them if they do not take it down. (Again may want to ask a lawyer first)

Another thing you can do is go to the video on youtube, beneath the video you will see a button that says share and next to that there is a button that says more. Click the more button and choose report. Choose "Infringes my rights" next choose "Infringes my copyright" or "other legal claim"

That may be a bit quicker but unfortunately there is no quicker way to get it removed unless you have the person who uploaded contacted by your legal representation with a demand to take it down.