Christopher Holl
Christopher Holl,
Experience:  Network Manager at Technic In
94610639

I have a laptop drive of 100GB but mywindows 7 takes up 62.6

Customer Question

I have a laptop drive of 100GB but mywindows 7 takes up 62.6 GB of it and shuts me down every hour to upload even more updates. Windows is a cancer to my laptop can you help me clean it up and shut off the updates?
With thanks,
Alan
Category: Software
Expert:  Christopher Holl replied 5 months ago.

Hi Alan. I'd be happy to help with this. The first thing we're going to do is try to clean up some free space on your drive. You'll need to click on the start button, then on programs, then on accessories, then on system tools, then on "disk cleanup"

when it loads, there should be an option to click for "system files". click it. select the items you want to clean in the list, and click on OK

to turn off updates, click on the start menu > all programs > windows update. When the screen loads, click on "Change Settings". The dropdown probably has "install updates automatically (recommended)" selected. Drop it down and select an option. I recommend using "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them" rather than just disabling them. This is because windows patches security exploits and stabilizes the system with many updates, and so you should pay attention to which ones you do and do not feel you need. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance as you follow these instructions, or if they have sufficed please leave me feedback and mark this issue complete!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Christopher, the first and main part of my question is how to reduce the 62.6 GB of disk space occupied by Windows to whatever it should be and then secondly to stop further unwanted updates from MicroSoft.Thanks for showing me how to stop the updates, I have been cleaning my hard drive continually and so there was only some 3 kb to remove today.So what can I do to reduce the Windows 62.6 GBs?Best regards,Alan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Christopher,can you please answer my question, I really need to get my disk space back by cleaning up Windows I am sure that it does not really need 62.6 GB.Best regards,Alan

oops sorry for the delay I am here

I suggested a disk cleanup because this will often reduce the size of the windows directory, however in your case it does not appear to be helping much. Two key areas come to mind: shadow copies and hibernation files. If you do not require hibernation, you can turn this feature off and it should free up a considerable chunk of space. Shadow copies can also occupy space. You can disable them or reduce the size they're allowed to use (assuming they're turned on). I will send instructions in a second... just a side note though, Windows taking up 62.6GB is not entirely unusual, especially as it installs updates over the course of time. For this reason I suggest running it on a 250GB drive or larger for most clients.

Hibernation: go to control panel, power options, (if its not there select "large icons" from the dropdown list at the top), then click "change when the computer sleeps" and select "never" for put the computer to sleep. If this is a laptop, this may not be a desirable setting though.

For shadow copies, go to my computer, right click on your C: drive. There may be a tab for shadow copies, under which you can change the storage quota its allowed to use. there also may be a previous versions tab. if there is a tab like this, are there any previous versions listed? If required I can remote in with you and try to clean up some files.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are making a kind of progress, I have changed the "Hibernation" to Never, I have got through to "Previous Versions" and it says that there are no "Previous Versions Available" and the Windows directory has reduced from 62.6 GB to 62.0So this may help, if it is not untypical for Windows to run up to 60+GB and I should have a 250+ drive then can I say that my drive is actually 450GB compressed but at some time in the past I divided it into 100 and 350 GB. So it appears that if I can't clean up Windows then perhaps I should de-segment my drive as the second segment has 313GB of free space; is this our best path?

yeah I would re-partition it so that the system volume is at least 150GB. There's nothing wrong with splitting off. even easier though, you could go and change where the page file resides. Right click on "computer", go to properties, click on "advanced system settings" on the right hand side, go to the advanced tab, click on "settings" under performance, click on the "advanced" tab in this screen, then click "change" next to virtual memory. uncheck "automatically manage paging file size" and you can set the C: drive page file to 400MB, then move a system managed page file to the second partition you've created. this could free up a bit of space. if you do re-partition you will need to use a tool like Easus Partition Master so that you don't wipe out the system volume.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Christopher,I followed your guide until I had achieved the attached screen shot when I had difficulty interpreting your instructions, "move a system managed page file to the second partition you've created. this could free up a bit of space. if you do re-partition you will need to use a tool like Easus Partition Master so that you don't wipe out the system volume." which is when I became concerned not to lose my system volume. Can you give me more directions?Alan

Yes no problem. The settings you have there are perfect... just set the custom size for C: to 400 minimum 400 maximum. The D drive should remain system managed. I apologize for the confusion... the last line about using partition master was merely to say that if you do decide to resize the partition and the C: drive, you should do it with software that can do this maneuver. Although you probably don't need to at this point, depending on how much space is left on C. Even with only 40GB left on C:, as long as you store your data on D you should be fine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Christopher,I have attached three screen shots showing the changes made to the virtural memory screen which I believe is correct to your instructions and the drive capacity for the C and D drives. It appears to me that the relative capacity of the C and D drives has not been improved and assume that our only action is to add capacity to the C drive from the D drive which unfortunately I do not know how to do. Is this the correct path and if so can you direct me?Best regards,Alan
Expert:  Christopher Holl replied 4 months ago.

If you're really concerned about the capacity of your C: drive yes, adding space from D would be the correct course. However, before we get into that I wanted to mention that the threshold of concern is when you dip below 10% free space. Assuming that you do have roughly 36GB free, you're not even close yet. If you've been running and patching windows for a while, it will likely take a long time to fill up the remaining space if you ever do. You could just store data on the D: drive of your computer and leave C as a system partition alone.

Another option is to run a tool such as windirstat (windirstat.info) on the C: drive and see what files are taking up the most space. Windirstat analyzes the files on your drive and shows a graphical representation of them so its easy to find what is eating space where. It may be that they're not even windows files, there could be easily freed space in there.

If you are going to resize, it will require third party software UNLESS you entirely delete the D: drive volume. I just tested this in my windows 7 virtual lab and the problem is, even if you shrink the D: volume, the space you free up tags onto the end of the allocation for the physical disk. In laymans terms that equals out to: ***** *****'t expand into it. That 's when you would want to use a tool such as Easus partition master. Again though, I would consider this a measure of last resort and your PC does not seem to be in that dire of a straight right now.

As a premium service I can remote into your machine and see if we can free space, but honestly you may have luck with WinDirStat on your own.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. Where do I access the Windirstat is it in the Windows package, if so I agree I need to understand where my problem resides and what my options may be.
2. I have a copy of Matlab on my C drive that I use on a hobby basis and it is over 2GB, I could move this to the D drive but I have never done so since I do not know how to ensure that this valuable and active program will still work if transferred.
3. I am in the process of defragging my C drive.Conclusion:
1. Can we move Matlab onto the D drive and ensure that it functions?
2. At a later date is it possible to clean Windows of its trash or even load a new version of Windows and if so will it be less than my current 62GB?Best regards,Alan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Christopher,please find attached the Windirstat report for my C drive.

If you expand the windows folder, what are the largest folders within?

Try this to see if you get any space:

-click on start

-search for "cmd"

-right click on command prompt, run as administrator

-type in the following: dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

-when it completes, see if there's more space.

This will delete service pack files if there are any. Let me know which directories are largest. If there's no data on D, you may want to just delete that volume and extend C into it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had trouble finding the cmd prompt but went through YouTube and eventually tried to enter your instruction line but even on my own home computer I found that I did not have administrator privilages.My initial problem was that when I searched cmd a got a black screen.As stated above I do like the idea of moving programs or data files from the C to D drive and of course trimming down my Windows directory.Alan

you know, I wonder if system restore is chewing up space on you. Right click on computer, go to properties, click on "system protection" on the right hand side, click on the "configure" button, and drag the slider down a bit if its set for several GB. I would leave it about 3 or 4GB if possible just so that the feature is still available but this could save you a bunch of space potentially. You could also just go to the disk cleanup program that we talked about previously, click on the more options tab, and click "clean up" under system restore and shadow copies. This would not be a permanent solution though.