Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Installed Win 7 Pro from factory Supplied disk. Microsoft

Customer Question

Installed Win 7 Pro from factory Supplied disk. Microsoft installed Win 10 while my computer was on overnight. I had to repair 7. I used the only disk I have. I repaired my system. Now Microsoft says it doesn't recognize my serial key?
Category: Software
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you are entering your product key for windows 7.. Is it a 25 character product key and if so, did you find it on your computer itself, on sticker on the back or bottom?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
25 Character Key On a Sticker Bottom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
25 character product key
on sticker on the bottom
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Ive sent the offer for remote support as you requested.. Once you have clicked and accepted, I will send you the connection steps and we will start the connection.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dustin, I have already paid you $40 via PayPal & have no answers & Now you want an additional $39? Please advise
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

That is the standard remote support fee. I can send a reduced offer if that would help?

Or, we can continue via written support alone, for the initial fee you agreed on.. Either way, if Im unable to help you , then you will be entitled to a full refund.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What am I getting for the $40. I already paid?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

If you have read my responses. Written support is what receive for the initial fee. Any other form of support ( phone or remote ) is extra, this is done to keep our written support fees as low as possible.

With that being said. It sounds like you want to proceed with written support. So lets discuss your windows 7 pro install.

When you installed windows 7 pro.. Did you validate it and activate it with a working windows 7 product key? I ask this because, when windows 10 installs its supposed to be free. However, you have to have a valid and genuine product key for windows 7 or 8 in place before windows 10 i nstalls.. Or else, it will tell you windows 10 isnt genuine ( since without a product key, windows 7 wasnt genuine )

It inherits the product key from the earlier install of windows.

To fix this without having to change a lot of registry entries or go too in depth.

You could reinstall windows 7.. Make sure you activate it and validate it online.. An d only then, allow the upgrade to windows 10.

That would fix the issue.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Sir, This was not an answer to the question I proposed. I did install 7 with the proper #s and yes it was activated. Windows 10 upgrade was done on my computer while I was away from my computer. I DID NOT WANT IT! It would star on my computer when I tried to login. I tried to reboot and was given an option to boot to 7, which I chose, only to find it would not star either. So I did a repair from the only disk I have. ( same serial # ) I got it running to a degree. to repair the errors I installed from my disk an upgrade which did in fact resolve my problems. When I was asked fro the Numbers key I was told it was not valid. So my friend this is where I am at. So you can now see that your answer to me was nothing to do with my problem. So Dustin what I said all this fro was to say, If I must do a clean install, I would not have paid the $40. If you have no other suggestion I would appreciate a refund of the $40. to my PayPal account.
Thanks *********
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Can you clarify..

You currently have windows 7 installed.. And it is not accepting the same 25 character windows 7 product key that it accepted when you said

'' I did install 7 with the proper #s and yes it was activated "

If you already have windows 7 installed.. Then we dont need to reinstall windows 7.. Again, please clarify, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Windows asked to confirm the key......I gave them the exact same installation key 3 times. They did not except it. This is why I looked for help. I was trying to avoid doing a complete install with all my programs. But now I have my data, so if I must install everything I can. Dustin, I was trying to save a lot of time. Thanks for your help. You may keep your lesser fee and refund the balance.
Thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Im still trying to save you a lot of time..

Are you saying currently, that windows 7 wont accept the key? This may just be a validation error in windows 7 itself.

Id try the following, as either this patch could fix the issue , or validatiing over the phone will fix the issue,.

1. Download and install KB(###) ###-####/a>.
  2. Reboot. Then, for the heck of it, reboot again.
  3. Click Start, right-click Computer, choose Properties, and look at the bottom to see if you've been activated. If you haven't, click the link to Activate Windows Now. Reboot again.

If Windows continues to report that you aren't genuine, you should go through the steps to activate Windows over the phone.

Dustin S.