Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years

Jess Had problems yesterday with desktop icons took 45 min.

Customer Question

Had problems yesterday with desktop icons took 45 min. to open & my personal Word processor files took over an hour to appear. Today, 6/2, Nortons is giving original error message: error 8504, 104.
Ref: I.D. 16407247
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

It appears Jess is not online at the moment. Would you like to wait for him, or work with me on this?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
work with you
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Thank you

So to confirm, desktop icons now take 45 minutes to open and Norton is giving these errors correct?

And which version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Win 10. I would like you to connect as long as I'm not charged.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

It is an additional charge if you wish for me to connect.

Can you please reply on the other questions I had?

I have repeated them again below

to confirm, desktop icons now take 45 minutes to open and Norton is giving these errors correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It takes overran hour for my personal word proc. files to appear. As for the charge, this is a follow-up to the original problem.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the answer to you question is Yes to all
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry. your question
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Can you please press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me please how it now operates.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I get to chkdsk it says I don't have this privilege. must operate in elevated mode
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yes, you need to press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to connect IF I'm not charged. Others have connected for no charge
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

As we discussed, there is a charge to connect. It is no problem if you do not wish for this but please carry out the instructions I gave

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
command prompt not accepting (admin)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
further, I have been told previously that there is no charge asw long as original problem is not resolved.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

I have decided to opt out of working with you further on this.

You do not need to do anything, you will be contacted when a new expert takes over your case.

Thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.

Do you still need help with this problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Nortons at times is still showing Error 8504, 104. Unfortunately, to my shame, I became a little iratated at Richard yesterday because he kept telling me that I had to pay for him to connect. When I explained that I was told that it should be no charge if it is still dealing with the original problem he informed me that he was "opting out" of assisting me. He did gave me instructions on how to initiate a scannow & chkdsk command. This fixes the problem completely and I can work with my machine; however, after closing down for the night when I restart it the next morning I will have the same old problems of taking an hour or longer for all personal files to appear and eventually getting the 8504, 104. I learned that Norton says that an error in loading a program can cause the problem. Not long ago I downloaded the free Win 10. Could that be the problem? I woul like for you to connect to my machine again but Only if there is no charge! I only want you to serve as my tech. Sorry for the ranting.....RH
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I answered you on my Ipad. I'm now on my Surface.