Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

I am trying to load a pdf onto my website and have document

Customer Question

I am trying to load a pdf onto my website and have document search. When I load it to the website it seems to lose the adobe acrobat reader DC and just act like a scanned document....any ideas how I can make this work?
Category: Software
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 10 months ago.

Hi Larry, my name is ***** ***** I'd love to help you with your question. Do you have the document on a website I can look at to try to help you troubleshoot?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Benjamin,Please visit the website Carillonhoa.com. I am trying to do an advanced search on the PDF files downloaded on that website. Although the site administrator, I am not familiar how to set up the pdf files so that visitors can perform an advanced search of the pdf files….I have tried shift+ctrl+F, but that does not work.Please let me know if you have any suggestions.Larry

Hello Larry - I totally see what you are saying now. I can't search the pdf on my browser or even if I download it. Pretty sure it's due to something Adobe added to PDF formats awhile back, I think I remember this is how PDF's used to be. I assume these files prior to being added to your website are able to searched in a PDF reader, correct?

I checked with my wife who is a web dev, but she doesn't work with pdfs. I'll have to research this and get back to you. I'll try to have an answer for you as fast as I can, but I don't know the issue off the top of my head.

What's the process and program you are using to add the files to your webserver?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I use adobe acrobat reader DC....and , yes, these files can be searched prior to uploading to the website. The website creators don't know what the issue is, hence the reason I reached out to your company. Unfortuantely adobe does not have a customer service phone number to answer these types of questions. Hopefully you can find a solution for me...ThanksLarry

Okay, what program are you using to create the these PDFs? Are they given to you by someone else and you don't know, but you have them searchable?

Also, what is the process you use when you add them to the webserver. I did a tiny bit of research and I believe there are two possible failure points - when you create and save the PDF and when you upload the file to your website. It sounds based on what you said in your post for this question that after it is saved, but before it is on the website it is searchable, so it must be when you upload it to the website it changes the file to make this problem. So if that's right, I want to zero in on what you are doing so I can try to provide a fix for you.

Just two quick pieces of info you may already know, but in case it helps you...

1. You can take a non-searchable PDF and make it searchable with higher versions of pdf creation software. Aside from higher cost, it's better to keep the info as text, since these tools are for files you scan in and use OCR (optical character recognition) to "read" the letters, so 0's and O's can get mixed up, etc
  2. The pdf file format used to be more uniform but at this point there is a lot of "sub-types" of PDF files, I think when you upload the file to the webserver, something is causing it to morph into a type of PDF that you can't search, so we need to figure out if we can modify that with configuration or upgrade (free or paid, unknown at this point since I don't know what you are using) and that may fix it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think you are correct....any thoughts?

Sorry Larry, I guess I was unclear - I'm waiting to hear from you on this info:

1. Do you create these PDF's or does someone give them to you?
  2. Do you modify them at all or just upload them to the website?
  3. Are they searchable before you upload them to the website?
  4. What program/process/protocol do you use to put them on the website (as much detail as you can give me here because pretty sure this may be the issue)?
  5. What do you use for hosting your website? Apache? This is another possible issue. Do you know what version of web server software you have?

That will let me see if there is a known issue with something you are using. Usually that's the case in these types of situations.

Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 9 months ago.

Hi Larry, I just got back from my vacation over the 4th of July, wondering if you wanted to pick up where we left off? If you can please answer the questions from my previous post, we can keep going with getting your issue solved.