Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

The show/de button toggles the existing condition, whatever

Customer Question

The show/hide button toggles the existing condition, whatever that condition may be; but my documents are LOADED with hidden text and I don't want to see hidden text except when I call for it, like when I am about to insert new text (so that I don't inadvertently insert into the hidden text rather than the visible text). I have tried maintaining a discipline of showing hidden text before inserting new text, but I fail too often. Do you know of a routine that will do the following (which I will add to a right-click macro that does other things I must do with each insertion of new text)?
If hidden text is showing then do nothing
If hidden text is not showing then execute show/hide
Category: Software
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

Which type of document(s) are you working with?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working in Word 2016 with a series of documents, their content in auto-numbered paragraphs. Dispersed between these visible paragraphs are paragraphs in hidden text. The problem I am trying to work around is that when the hidden text is not shown and an insertion is started at the beginning of a paragraph immediately before a hidden paragraph, the insertion is not made in the visible text but at the beginning of the hidden paragraph and the inserted characters are usually converted to hidden text.
This would not be such a problem if hidden text was always revealed, but having all of that hidden text always revealed is a major distraction. Our work goes much more smoothly when the hidden text is revealed only upon request of the Show/Hide button.
My approach is, since each insertion is bounded -beginning and end- by characters introduced by a macro, to include in that macro a routine that would start that insertion process only after hidden text is revealed.
If there is another way to insert text at the beginning of a visible paragraph immediately before a hidden paragraph, that would be OK too.
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 year ago.

Can you share that document with me. I will help you out in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The situation is easy to replicate. Just create a paragraph in hidden text immediately followed by a paragraph in non-hidden text. Then try adding text to the beginning of the non-hidden paragraph while the hidden paragraph is not visible.

I did exactly what you said .Tried all the permutation and combination but I didn't faced anything like you said.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find the same thing happening whether I use my Word 2016, my Word 2007, our secretary's Word 2016, my Word 2003. The exception is if I begin the insert with the cursor at the beginning of the non-hidden paragraph with hidden text showing, then turn on Hide. In that case any insertion at the cursor point will be non-hidden text.
Do you not notice that in Word 2007 with hidden text not showing, when the cursor is placed at the beginning of the non-hidden paragraph, the cursor switches from straight up to slanted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There might be a work-around if "Clear All" is a style. What I am referring to is this: When the hidden text is not showing and the cursor is placed at the beginning of the non-hidden paragraph and the first letter of the non-hidden paragraph is selected by executing Shift+R Arrow, the Style reads "Clear All". If "Clear All" is a legitimate Style, then I can create a macro based on-- if style=ClearAll then execute Show/Hide.