Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience. Expert in installing and problem fixing of softwares.

We need to get 250 users to change certain account settings

Customer Question

We need to get 250 users to change certain account settings in Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010.
The following needs to happen:
Username: should be added to the username field
Password: client should be prompted to enter the new password
Outgoing SMTP settings should be changed to: ***** ***** on Port 587
Getting technicians to every client will be cumbersome, perhaps a little application that the client can run that will make the changes for them will be a better option.
Any ideas will be welcomed
Category: Software
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 4 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

You can do this by sending a Registry file with the domain details. Users should double click on the registry file and merge the content to system Registry. After that when they load Outlook, they will asked for user name and password. If you want to include username also with the registry, you need to create 250 separate registry files for each user.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jins,

That might work,

See I am an ISP and need to upgrade my mail server to a new generation server which require the settings to be updated.

I however have more questions regarding your solution and perhaps advise.

1. Will the registry file be passed by Anti-Virus Software?

2. What happens if a customer has more than one email account in Outlook

3. What is the client is using other mail client

4. Is there way to get a response when the client finished the task?

Thank you in advance

Most antivirus softwares will show a warning when user downloads a .REG file and most Email service providers like Gmail and Yahoo will not allow you to attach a .REG file on Email. But you can distribute it through your website as a download or through file sharing platforms like dropbox.

Usually the registry entry trick deals with only one account, if a user have more than one account he need to do the same manually by referring the one he added through registry script.

This method only works for Outlook users.

No you can't get a response from this.