flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I just learned that Picasa is being retired and in early

Customer Question

Hi - I just learned that Picasa is being retired and in early June 2016 I uploaded photos from my digital camera and now cannot find them. There is a possibility that I only acquired them into Picasa. Can you advise as to how I can locate or retrieve them ? Many Thanks. Judy H
Category: Software
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you

Do you still have the Picasa desktop application installed in the PC?

Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any other?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still have Picasa on desktop and windows 10 home
is my OS
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the details

Does Picasa shows the photos uploaded previously?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have all my photos up to March 2016 which is the last upload
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

OK so in that photos upload its not showing any of the photos from digital camera that you needed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
after I connected the device and uploaded and acquired the photos they appeared in Picasa and then they were copied by Picasa but I do not recall if this is the final step in the process or if there is a further step that needed to be completed. I then closed Picasa and when I have gone on today to upload more photos I could not see the last upload
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

The pictures you have uploaded to picasa did you erase it from your camera's memory too?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sadly yes I did as I had used my son's camera and he needed to take it away with him
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

OK i believe you didn't click on Finish after you have selected the pictures to upload that is why it didn't get uploaded to Picasa.

Could you please go to My pictures in windows 10 and see if you can find the pictures you needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is the only reason I am asking for help - is there a place acquired photos reside that I can link to in order to retrieve them ????
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already scoured my pictures and they are not there - this is only reasom why I am seeking expert help to find out of there is a place in Picasa or in Google that acquired photos may reside ?????????????
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

I don't think there is another location where its saved or you can link that to get the pictures but could you please go to google photos and login then see if its showing in there : - https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Had already looked there too. So having acquired photos in Picasa they do not temporarily sit anywhere ??
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Sorry to say no but you can check if its stored in the temp folder in windows 10.

To access temp folder press windows key + r key that will open run box in that type %temp% and then press enter see if it shows a google picasa folder or any of the pictures.

Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is a Picasa3 file but does not seem to be anything in it
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Then sorry to say it may not be possible to recover it but i will open this question to other experts so that if they have any other idea to recover the pictures they will help you.

May i open this to other experts?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any cost to do this ?
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

No other cost to open this to other experts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok - what happens if this line drops ? how do we connect again ?
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

You can always open this page from the justanswer email send to your email.I will now open this question to other experts so that they can try to help you recover the pictures.

You will be notified in your email when another expert replies and you can continue from that email.

Sincerely,

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 9 months ago.

There is a chance that they were stored as temp files somewhere on the computer and then deleted

this program should find them if they are still there. But the space that deleted files took up gets re used eventually. the shorter the time that it has been the more likely that you can find them. You are looking for anything with a .jpg at the end

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried recuva but it just seems to pull up the photos I have been scouring through over last 48 hours. I really need to know based on the Picasa App itself whether uploading and acquring the photos will have deposited them somewehere or whether I missed a vital step and they are lost now. Thoughts on this ?

Picassa can do either. You can import from a camera to the pc or to a web album.

My thoughts are that if you went directly to the web album from the camera rather than importing them to the pc and then to the web album, that it would NOT have left a copy on the pc other than maybe in a temp file.

The reason that i think that is that it would use the same exact process if you were pulling photo's from the pc to put in a web album and there would be no use to making a duplicate copy on the pc. They basically assume that you already have the pictures that you are uploading and its not really a great method to import them to the PC. Although they advertise it that way its really more of a prepare photo albums with the photos you already have than an import photo's from your camera app.

I think that i would look to the picassa end of it on why they don't have copies there. Did you maybe use a different user id when you uploaded the last batch ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is a possibility. How do I safely open a second Picasa folder while leaving the other one untouched ?

do you mean the folder on your computer or an online album ?

this might be easier if i can log in remotely and we can work on it together.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
folder on my computer I guess

you should be able to just go to file / open

or even look at the pictures in the folder through windows rather than picassa