Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer

Legacy app communicates with floppy drive A: only. And, only

Customer Question

Legacy app communicates with floppy drive A: only.
And, only runs on XP or earliest 32 bit Win 7.
Need it to communicate with other devices. How can I do that?
Category: Software
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question.

I will start with an overview of how you could do this. If it answers your question, great! If you need clarification, please just let me know and I will help.

You have a few options. If you have a computer you can install one of those versions of Windows on, then you could connect a USB floppy to your computer. You can get internal or external.

If the reason you are bringing up the OS is you don't have a counter you want to put it on, you could partion a hard drive or put a 2nd physical hard drive in and boot from that and then use the floppy drive.

If the program needs to be running all the time you could also create a virtual machine using virtual box and map the disk up that way.

If it is a game, dosbox is great for old games.

I can provide more specific help if you tell me more information. If I have solved the problem to your satisfaction, I would appreciate it if you would please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check this out later. I have to leave now for an out-ot-town eye doctor appt. Thank you, Rod

Hey Rod, sounds good. I will be on and off here since I am working on fixing up a boat and house remodeling but I usually check for messages a couple times a day, just let me know when you need more help or if you get it working please.