Justin Williams
Justin Williams,
Experience:  Freelance IT Consultant at Westlake Computers LLC
93707858

We need to get 250 users to change certain account settings

Customer Question

We need to get 250 users to change certain account settings in Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010.
The following needs to happen:
Username: @domain.com should be added to the username field
Password: client should be prompted to enter the new password
Outgoing SMTP settings should be changed to: ***** ***** on Port 587
Getting technicians to every client will be cumbersome, perhaps a little application that the client can run that will make the changes for them will be a better option.
Any ideas will be welcomed
Regards
Spidey
Category: Software
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I can help you with it.

You can try running this script(you need to modify a bit as per your requirement) :-

$dnsservers = "192.168.1.1","192.168.1.2"
$computers = Get-Content ComputerList.txt
foreach ($comp in $computers)
{

$adapters = gwmi -q "select * from win32_networkadapterconfiguration where ipenabled='true'" -ComputerName $comp
foreach ($adapter in $adapters)
{
$adapter.setDNSServerSearchOrder($dnsservers)
}

}

ComputerList.txt is the list of all the computers where you want to make changes

This script changes DSN servers remotely you can simply modify it as per your use.

Does this helps ?

There is a tool as well named RichProfile which can help you in achieving it for free :-

http://download.cnet.com//RichProfile/3000-2369_4-75670667.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bhavik,Sorry for only replying now, was a problem with Justanswer. I am available if you would like to discuss our question in more detailSpidey

Hi Spidey,

Did you look for this option :- http://download.cnet.com//RichProfile/3000-2369_4-75670667.html ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bhavik,Yes I did, sorry it does make very much sense to me how to edit and get it to do what I want.If I can get the script to do what we want I have the following concerns:1. Will the script file be passed by Anti-Virus Software?2. What happens if a customer has more than one email account in Outlook3. What if the client is using other mail client4. Is there way to get a response when the client finished the task?Sorry I realise that my question might be more intricate than initially thoughtSpidey

I think, All the above points are quite feasible but writing a script for them is quite time consuming task. I don't think antivirus will cause any problem as even if we get warning from our antivirus we can skip the warning message and allow our script to run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bhavik,Thank you, ***** ***** have an estimate cost for something like this. My business is small and I need to know if I could afford it.RegardsSpidey

I don't think I will be able to devote enough time on it. I am leaving it for our other experts to look at it and let you know about their estimates on it.

Thank you. It was really nice working with you. Hope you see you again. I am opting out as of now. :)

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hello Spidey. Are all of the users on the same domain? Do you have admin rights to the domain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for your response. We are a small ISP so although the users all use the "@act.co.za" domain it is not a domain in the sense of MS Domain.RegardsSpidey
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information Spidey. I'm really sorry but I won't be able to help. If all users were part of a Microsoft domain, I could use domain services to affect the changes that you need, but I know of no other way to do this easily. I'll opt out in the hopes that another expert can help. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Justin Williams replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I have done this before in a non-domain environment and I believe I can help you.

You can use a login script to do it. Instructions incoming.

You can manually edit a .PRF file to customize Outlook 2010 to include Outlook settings or MAPI services that are not included in the Office Customization Tool (OCT) user interface.

Download OCT from the Microsoft Download Center:

Office 2010 Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX/ADML) and Office Customization Tool(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=189316).

Apply a .prf file

You can apply a .prf file in several ways to update Outlook profiles.

To apply a .prf file by using the customization file

1. From the root of the network installation point, run the following command line to start the OCT:\\server\share\setup.exe /admin
  2. To edit an existing .msp file, in the Select Product dialog box, click Open an existing Setup customization file. Or to create a new customization file, select the Office suite that you want to customize, and then click OK.
  3. In the Outlook area, click Outlook Profile. Select Apply PRF, and then browse to the file.
  4. On the File menu, click Save to save the .msp file.
  5. Exit the OCT.
  6. Put the .msp file in the Office installation source \Updates folder.
  7. Install Office 2010 from the original installation source.

To apply a .prf file by using other options

• Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe to import a .prf file without prompting the user. For example: outlook.exe /importprf \\server1\share\outlook.prf.
  • Specify the .prf file as a command-line option for Outlook.exe, but prompt the user before importing the .prf file. For example: outlook.exe /promptimportprf \\localfolder\outlook.prf. If you put the specified .prf file in a shared folder on a network, the settings might not be applied if the file is not found or is not available when Outlook runs.

Then you just have to place a batch file containing the following text in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup on each computer, along with the PRF file.

Something like this, with the exact path for outlook:

outlook.exe /importprf outlook.prf

Please mill this over and let me know if it's something you think you can handle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** will have a look and revert backThank you once againSpidey