Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

I Use Filemaker Pro Advanced to prepare price quotation

Customer Question

I Use Filemaker Pro Advanced to prepare price quotation for a product sale. I usually save the document as a PDF file for emailing. But frequently I need to revise it which cannot be easily done with the file in PDF format. How do I reopen the file in Filemaker?
Category: Software
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 5 months ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help you with this issue.

From what I can understand you are using Filermaker Pro and instead of saving the document as a Filemaker file type (such as .fmp12) you are saving as a PDF and then you send it to the customer. So when you have an issue where you need to modify that quote, you need to start from scratch which is a total waste of your time since Filemaker Pro won't open the PDF you saved. Is that correct?

If yes, 3 options:

1) Save as both file types (Easy, but more files to keep track of and adds extra step to your workflow and a bit more files to store on your hard drive).

2) Save as the Filemaker Pro File type and when you want to send a customer the file, save as a PDF and then delete it. (Similar solution, but you don't need to worry about keeping track of both files. However, you will need to recreate the PDF if you need it again even with no modifications. It would be in your sent email though, so perhaps that's not a huge issue, depending on your workflow).

3) Get a plugin to read the PDF files for Filemaker Pro. Here is a list of 3 I found for you.

http://www.pdfmanipulator.com/

http://360works.com/filemaker-pdf-plugin/

http://www.productivecomputing.com/pdf-integration

(This will cost money and time, and you have another program on your computer. It would give you the ability to pull in other PDF's which may or may not be of use to you. Also, it may or may not read the PDF the same way as you created it since it will have to go through a conversion. I'd suggest options 1 or 2 for you, but this is available).

I hope that sheds some light on what you want to do. Please do let me know if I've misunderstood your question or you just need more help! If what I gave you takes care of your issue, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would rate my help today. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I meant to mention that I have previously been able, while in Filemaker to open the pdf in the Filemaker format but, for some reason, not able to do it now. I'm wondering what I might have been doing before.

Well that changes everything, lol. What version are you using? Is this a totally new thing today, or not sure when the change happened?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Not sure when it happened. I would guess a couple of months.

Bernard, can you tell me the version? Any other information that might be helpful? I've not heard of this issue, but I'll look into and get back to you, but the version might be helpful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Benjamin, I must leave my office now but will try to get back to you tomorrow. Thanks, ***** *****

Bernard.

Sounds good I'll wait for your response and get back to you then!

also Mac or PC? Which version of the OS (I may not need this info, but you never know when it helps!)

Finally, are you getting any errors on this? If yes, what are they? Can you describe the workflow of how you open the file? That would aid in researching the issue for you!