Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years

I recently upgraded from Acrobat Reader to Acrobat Reader DC

Customer Question

I recently upgraded from Acrobat Reader to Acrobat Reader DC since upgrading there are downloads which I was previously able to open under Acrobat Reader are no longer able to accessed I receive a message that an error was incurred in the process of downloading attachments to Emails can you please advise me of a solution to this problem
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Victor,

Welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10?

Also, can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly assist you in fixing the issue while you watch on your screen?

Please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good day Jess
I am using Windows 10, I would prefer to have a printed hard copy of the instructions, if this is not possible I give permission for you to have remote access to my computer. I have also accessed my account, all details are correct, if there are any problems with my account please advise me and I will try to rectify the problem.
I thank you in advance for your assistance.Best regardsVictor
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Victor,

Thank you for writing back with that information. We can first try to this written instructions method and see if we can get this issue resolved. We can do the remote session later then if you want.

Now, you mentioned that your old PDF files normally opens in Reader but now they no longer open with the new Reader DC. Please try the following:

1. If these files are stored in your Downloads folder or My Documents folder, please try 2 things to see where the fault is coming. First, locate any of your PDF file (a saved file, NOT the one attached in an email message) and then double click on it. It shall open Reader DC and load the PDF file. If this does not work, please tell me the error message you are getting. Second, you can open the Adobe Reader DC first, and then use the File => Open dialog box to locate and load the PDF file you want to open. See if the PDF file opens this time,
  2. If the PDF files that are giving you this problem are those that are still attached to any of your email messages, your first option is to first download the PDF file and then open (double click it) it with Reader DC. If downloading is NOT the option you like, then you need to set the Adobe Reader DC as the default program for PDF files. Here are the steps:
    • Go to Control Panel
    • Open Default Programs. If you are not seeing "Default Programs" in the list, click on the "View by" section at the top, set it to "Small icons" instead of "Category". There you must be able to locate and open "Default Programs"
    • Select "Set your default programs"
    • In the Programs list in the left panel, locate Adobe Reader DC. When found, click it to select it.
    • In the right panel, bottom part, locate and click "Set this program as default"
    • Click OK
    • Close all other programs and restart your computer.
  3. Then test if the problem is resolved

I hope this helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively (1-2 stars/faces). Instead, please reply to me so that I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Best regards,