Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Software Development Engineer
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

Is this droplet possible in Photoshop CC 2015 G'day from

Customer Question

Is this droplet possible in Photoshop CC 2015
G'day from Australia.
I am in the process of learning how to create droplets and have a challenge for you.
Here is what I want to do.
1. Take file A and change the hue by say 2 percent and save the file under a different name.
2. Open the newly saved file and change the hue by 2 percent and save as a new file.
3. Open newly changed file and change hue and save under a different name.
I wonder if this is possible.
We would start off with one file, and each file is changed and then saved and then opened and then saved etc.
If this is possible could you please tell me how to do this in EXTREMELY simple instructions.
Many thanks for your help and hooroo for now.
Paul.
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you need the instructions for editing, or just for the saving under a different name, opening... saving under a different name... ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

hi Russell.

Thank you for your quick response.

It would be great if you could create a little Applet/Action to do everything automatically.

So all I need to do is drop one file in and then presto

20 or 30 or x number of files are created.

Obviously I would need to be able to edit the Action so that I can decide on how many files will be created.

Paul.

Is this on a Windows PC platform, or on an Apple computer platform, or just perhaps on a Linux computer platform, that you are running the Adobe software in question, Paul ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hey Russell that was quick.

It is on Windows 7 Professional system.

Thank you.

Paul.

Ps. I don't want anything hard wired, because I will be doing many different things with one file becoming many. I need to be able to edit and hopefully create the Applet/Action myself.

I was wondering if you just needed a file duplicated and nothing else?

OR, Does the file have to be altered, then saved to a different name?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Okay, here is what will happen.

I have one file.

This file will be altered and saved as file B

File B will be opened and altered. This file will be saved as file C

File C will be opened and altered. This file will be saved as file D

All alterations will be the same to each file and automated. However each file will be different from the previously saved file.

Paul.

I have to admit I do not know how to manage that with scripting, nor with Photoshop CC 2015.

I have Opted Out, with apologies. Another Expert may have the answer you need, I hope.

Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 5 months ago.

Hi Paul!

It does indeed look like the solution you want would involved scripting.

I took a look at this guide for you:

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/photoshop/pdfs/photoshop-cc-scripting-guide.pdf

The top of page 9 explicitly states you can save files.

What you'd want to do is create a script in one of the supported languages (page 9 of that document).

The script should do the following:

1) Open file A

2) Run loop that calls a method (function or subroutine, all names for same thing) that does the alteration you desire (such as modify hue by 2%) and increments the file name by one letter each run through the loop. (I would suggest numbers, especially if you are doing more than 26, but that's your call). End the loop.

That's it.

You said "I need to be able to edit and hopefully create the Applet/Action myself."

I would suggest using Javascript, unless you know one of the other supported languages already. The basic program you are looking for should be covered in the first parts of the language - loops.

Here's a couple free resources to learn if you wish:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript

I'm a professional software dev, and my wife decided to switch from teaching to software last year and used the codeacademy website to get started and then went to a software bootcamp, she said it was a good resource for learning.

After you have the basics of Javascript down, I'd suggest looking at how to control Photoshop with your new skills. Here's a how-to that should help you with that and has an example of how to save a file:

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/learn-javascript-photoshop-game

(If you already know how to program, you may just want to skip to this and take a look. If you feel overwhelmed, backup and check out the first resources I sent and then look at this page again and it will seem to make more sense).

I hope that answers your question.

Finally, here's an example of an if/else statement for you (syntax not correct for Javascript):

If I've answered your question, I would appreciate it greatly if you would rate me.

Else, please let me know what further assistance you need.