michael perrault
michael perrault,
Experience:  Sr. Sales Engineer at StealthBits
94599698

Can someone who's a HEAVY expert in Google Drive please

Customer Question

Can someone who's a HEAVY expert in Google Drive please chat with me? I've spent hours but can't figure out things like changing the owner, or seeing the file's location, or stopping google from deleting the file's time stamp. (you can not connect to my computer)
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Tell me about the change of owner you want - is it changing the owner of the file?

Seeing the file's location... it depends upon when you import it or upload it - there is an option to Locate File then. It can help to use it.

I didn't know Google deleted a file's time stamp. Tell me more about it please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a files shared between two google accounts.
Account 1 is owner, and I want Account 2 to be owner.
But that option does not show up in the dropdown of either account.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What make this even more difficult, is when I view the files on either account, it does not show what folder it is in, so I can't go to that folder to try to fix the files in there.

If the file was imported into the Google Drive account #1, then it is 'stuck' with the owner being Account #1.

Try locating a duplicate or identical source for that file.

Delete it from Google Drive.

Upload it into Account #2. Then it will be present still, but its Owner will be changed to Account #2. That may be the only way to achieve it.

(If there's no duplicate source, download it to your computer from Account 1, delete it there, upload it into Account 2, then share it or set sharing.)

---------------------

Is your Google Drive account(s) divided into folders?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are divided into folders.
And no, I can't start all over, it's been 2 days of work uploading them to Drive and organizing them into folders.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changing ownership is a basic function, included in Drive.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I view the files I'm sharing? I don't see the button.

I see.

Is it hard to find the files by their folder name?

If so, you may have to redo things. Folder names should reflect the files that are in them, fairly clearly.

But: try using Advanced Search Options function, and put in an evocation of the type of your file, such as

type:documents

or the like, as a search parameter.

Try the 'Shared with me' view in Google Drive. It may help you find the Shared files.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's actually the "shared with" box in the search dropdown.
And no, you can't search for the files, because I did not memorize the names of all 9786 files.
If you can solve the time stamp issue, let me know.. otherwise it's best to close this question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm thinking about deleting everything in both Google accounts and starting all over, loosing the work I've been doing for 2 days. But if I'm going to do that.. I at least need a way to transfer my files from PC to Drive without Drive deleting all the time stamps and replacing them with the current date, because then all files in drive will have same Modified date and Drive will be useless for organizing them.

Supposedly the file time/date stamp can be preserved by not using Upload. Load the files locally on the hard drive, then Sync them with the Google Drive. Supposedly that preserves more than just the date (which is still left in the Activity view.)

Supposedly the "newest" version of Google Drive API has an option to preserve the timestamp on uploaded files.

That's indicated by a forum posting of 2012... maybe it is so already.

(If this or any of my suggestions are worthy of note and useful, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, in explorer, I dropped a folder from my hard disk to a new folder in the new Driver folder on my computer, and I see it there, but not in google drive, so how do I get the sync to occur?

To sync folders with Google Drive:

- Start Google Drive. ...

- Click the Google Drive icon . ...

- In the top right, click More > Preferences > Sync Options.

- Click to choose which folders or subfolders will sync: ...

- If you choose OPTION 2, click the box to the left of the folder names to choose what folders will sync.

- Click on Apply to confirm your changes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is nothing in top right that says "more".
When Click the Google Drive icon to open the software, it opens windows explorer.

I'm sorry - I may have failed.

Are you accessing Google Drive through the web interface (in a web browser, as a web page)? or otherwise?

Indications are, that 'everything in My Drive' will sync....unless you choose only some files/folders.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, not using through web. using through software you told me to install on my computer.

Try maximizing the Google Drive program window.

See if that shows the 'upper right 'More'.'

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Perhaps that's the wrong icon?

Try going through the menu, you know:

Programs

Google

Google Drive

or the like ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's what I did.
what I did find though, is if go to the drive folder in explorer, and right click, then Google Drive, then preferences, it shows sync options.. but it's already set to Sync everything in My Drive. And I do see all my files from the web version of Drive, but when I add files into the folder, they do not upload to web Drive.

I'm sorry I didn't advise you better. I did try.

I am Opting Out, in case another Expert here can advise you better or further. (I will check back though.) Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

GOOGLE DRIVE ON THE WEB

How do I find identical duplicate files and delete them? Downloading some 75 GB from the Drive to my PC and identifying duplicates, then uploading them back is NOT a viable work around.

Expert:  michael perrault replied 6 months ago.

There is no viable way to de-dup the files in google drive natively. there are so me third party software out there that usually does this for businesses. you can try to do a search on google drive for files with the same time stamp and manually delete them or use rege-ex for specific info in those files.. this will be a long and tedious process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

MOD - Close this question.