caraleneK, Software Engineer
Experience:  You one stop software Engineer

I am using the free version of DoubleCad XT 5.0 (Similar to

Customer Question

I am using the free version of DoubleCad XT 5.0 (Similar to Autocad LT) and received a .dwg drawing that shows dimensions in mm. I am fairly new with Cad and can't seem to change or create new dimensions in imperial.
Category: Software
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to attach the file but it doesn't look like I can upload a .dwg file.
Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** this, and if it doesn't work, you can compress (Zip) the DWG file and it will let you upload the Zip file. Then I can look at exactly what you're using. But try this first. (Disclaimer: I'm working from AutocadLT, not DoubleCad XT, but I think they're very similar)

1. Choose Options and then Drawing Setup.
  2. Select Space Units.

You should see the options there to change to imperial (they call it English).

If not, please upload the file and I'll open it and find the answer for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Drawing is attached. The "Space Units" are already set to English but the dimensions are metric. The metric dimensions shown are correct but I need imperial. For instance when I try to change or add a new dimension to the "Span 17370" dimension it shows 10911 mm (approx. 35'-9 1/2") but the correct imperial dimension is 57'. I will be doing this with several files so I need to understand how to make the changes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could it be that this is do to layer settings. I tried "exploding" parts of the drawing but still came up with the same thing. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant to say...Could it be this is due to layer settings?

It might be, because it's all showing up in inches for me. Here are a couple of other things to try, because I can't recreate the problem:

Go to Options and then Drawing Setup and then Space units and either check or uncheck the box that says Convert units after alteration (if it's checked, uncheck it, or vice-versa).

Look at the Properties, choose Alternate Units and select Decimal again.

There's also a setting in the Space Units that says something like Show All Units, but I'm not sure it actually works.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried your suggestions but can't seem to get the dimensions to come out correct. Attached is a file showing pertinent screenshots to explain further. I checked the box "convert units after alteration" but nothing else has been changed from the original file. Normally I would change the "Linear Scale for Primary Unit" (under Dimension Styles in the Style Manager) to .03937 and then change the Format for Primary Dimension from Decimal to Architectural. Do you think you will be able to figure this out without having Doublecad? I really need to get an answer this morning if at all possible. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am going to see if I can find another answer - thanks again.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 4 months ago.

Hi Marvin my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.Sorry you having this problems. Go to the Properties dialog, Format page and change "Dimension Size Scale" to something larger; say 5 or 10. This will scale the text, arrows, etc. to a larger size. Hope this help. Waiting your feedback.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Caralene - The problem is not the size of the dimension arrow, etc. The problem is that I cannot convert the dimensions from metric to imperial