Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Software expert
50836188

I need to download Facebook messenger to my mac. I am not of

Customer Question

I need to download Facebook messenger to my mac. I am not of Facebook, and do not want to be. Can you show me how to do it and then send a bunch of pictures to somebody?
Category: Software
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Hi!

You can create a Facebook messenger account without using signing up for Facebook by using your phone number instead. The apps are for phones or tablets; not for computers. Although, you can try adding it to the message feature already built into your computer.

1. Open the Messages app on the Mac if you haven’t done so yet
  2. Pull down the “Messages” menu and choose “Add Account…”
  3. From the message account screen, choose “Other messages account…” and clickon “Continue”
  4. Pull down the menu next to “Account Type” and select ‘Jabber’ from the list
  5. In “Account Name” enter your Facebook account user name as follows:***@******.***
  6. Enter your Facebook account password ***** the password *****, this is the same one you use to login to Facebook from the web or the apps
  7. Ignore all other settings and choose “Create” – this will setup Facebook messaging client and in a moment you’ll see your Facebook Friends list populate as a buddy list, complete with friend names and friend profile pictures
  8. Message anyone in the list as usual, the conversations are going through Facebook Messenger
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The person I need to send the pictures to is insisting on FACEBOOK messenger. When I do some research on Gooogle it says it CAN be used on a mac computer. Will doing whatever you suggest end up with FACEBOOK messenger on my computer, or just some other messaging, and if so does it matter? Will they do the same thing?

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

The steps above will give you the same effects as Facebook messenger. Is there any reason the person is demanding Facebook messenger for pictures? You can send pictures quickly through email.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Because he's doing me a huge favor and that's what he wants. As a beggar i can't be a chooser. I will follow your steps, send the pics and see what happens. I'm going to do that right now, so if I get stuck I'll read out to you. Whatever happens Im giving you an excellent and a small (what I can afford) tip. Thanks.

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

I completely understand. Take your time and let me know if you need anything.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

From OXSDAILY.COM:

Using Facebook Messenger from the Mac is really quite simple, but it’s entirely separate from configuring Facebook sharing from the Mac, so if you have done one but not the other, you’d need to complete both to have the full Facebook functions of sharing, posting, and messaging available to you in OS X.

The problem is I just do not understand what he is saying because I have zero FB knowledge. I just simply need to send around 20 pictures of around 10 different things, and the receiver doesn't want 10 different emails with attachments. Could you log into my computer and help me get this done?

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Did you read my steps above? Here they are again:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Of course I read it. Did you read my original question? Look at your number 6. Enter your Facebook account password ***** the password ***** THIS IS THE SAME ONE YOU USE TO LOGIN TO FACEBOOK FROM THE WEB OR THE APPS.

I specifically said I do not have nor do I want to have a Facebook account.

Am I missing something here?

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

I apologize -- the wording can be confusing. In order to do what you are asking for, you will need to download the app on an iPhone or iPad then sign up on Facebook messenger using the use a phone number instead of option and use that password ***** my steps above.

Alternatively, (and I know you don't want an account) you can sign up for Facebook and put the bare minimum information which does not require setting up a profile with information, etc and use Facebook messenger that way.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Im going to go to Facebook and see about that. Ill get back to you. Now it's clear

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good-- take your time.

Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.