Jason Fenoglio
Jason Fenoglio, Sr. Systems Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems Engineer
94203781

I have been "removing" all my photos from lightroom and now

Customer Question

Hi. I have been "removing" all my photos from lightroom and now my start-up disk is full but I don't know how to go back and "delete" my first "removed" images to actually clear space. Please help. Thank you.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jason Fenoglio replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist. Are you just wanting to delete all of the removed photos from the hard drive? Are you on a Windows or Mac OS?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason. I am Taylor. Thanks so much as I really do need your help! I am on a Mac OS and I want to delete all removed photos yes but I can't seem to find them on lightroom or my hard drive but I assume they are still there and that is what is taking up so much space.
If you "right click" on your Mac mouse on the catalog those pictures are in and choose "Update Folder Location", does it show you the path of the photos?
By default, Lightroom stores your pictures in your \Users\\Pictures folder. All of your pictures should be there. If you want to delete them fully from Lightroom, press the Command key + Delete key
Please let me know if you were satisfied with your answer by giving me a positive review for you question. If you feel you need more help, I'll be happy to help.Thanks, Jason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason,I was able to find the files on my hard drive and delete them creating space but now that I tried to update folder location I have seemed to loose some of my current work that I need. The images are appearing in lightroom but with an exclamation point. When I right click on the folder it gives me the option to "find missing folder" "remove" or "export as catalogue". I want to reclaim all the images as they are edited and I need to use/export/continue to edit them.
Did you delete the entire folder or just the ones that you wanted removed from Lightroom? Deleting the entire folder would've removed all of the images including the ones you were working on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didnt think I deleted this folder.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The images are still showing up in my catalogue. I can recover them right? What does export as a catalogue mean?
You can choose "Find Missing Folder" and then choose the same path. If the photos are still there, it should reconnect them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if it doesn't take me to the files then they are deleted?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no other way to recover them even if they are showing in my lightroom with an exclamation point. These are 900 edited images. What does export as a catalogue mean?
Go back to the folder the same way you did when you deleted the files and see if the images are still there. The catalog points to the original images and the edited ones, so exporting it would not help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They are not there.
Check the Trash folder. If you have not deleted the trash, then the files will still be there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The trash was already deleted.
Then the files are gone. You'll have to use a file recovery utility to get them back. An Apple service tech can probably restore them but you'll want to make sure that you don't use the MacBook to limit overwriting the files permanently. I don't believe I can do anything else at this point, I'm sorry. As I stated above,"By default, Lightroom stores your pictures in your \Users\\Pictures folder. All of your pictures should be there. If you want to delete them fully from Lightroom, press the Command key + Delete key"This says where to find the pictures but not delete them all. The instruction for the Command key + Delete key, was if you wanted to remove them permanently in the future from Lightroom directly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.
If I answered the original question satisfactorily, please choose a positive rating on the top of the page. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope the Apple tech can get your pictures back.Thanks, Jason