Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager at an International Company

Router or software that will block youtube:, i have 2

Customer Question

router or software that will block youtube:hi, i have 2 teenagers and and want to control their use of some web site specially youtube and some aps on their phone, here is the situation:my ISP is bright house, current router is netgear wgr614v9
we have windows & apple laptops and desktops that i am using with my wife for business.
my kids have iphones
we have tablets running android and IOSi have tried opendns web site , the problem it blocks youtube service from all devices, what i want to do is limit the service on specific devices .is that possible , either using a router or buying software ?
Category: Software
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my nam is Rylan and I am happy to help you. I see youa re trying to block sites from certain devices in your network. You have been able to block from all devices, but not from just their specific devices, right?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see a couple potential issues with this, so I have a couple follow-up questions. 1. Do the kids' phones have cellular data on them?2. How computer smart are the kids? Will they be trying to get a way around it?3. Are you trying to restrict based on times or just completely block them?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1- no cellular data, just laptops and iphones
2-they are users but not so savvy
3- consider both options
Thank you, ***** ***** what your router can do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my router can do that but only for one 1 ip address
With the router you are using right now, you are not able to block specific devices to specific sites. Software on the computers can do it, but on the phones is more difficult. My suggestion would be one of two possible solutions:1. buy another router that has two separate WiFi SSIDs, like a guest network, that you can restrict.2. buy another router and use both. One for devices that can go to youtube and for those that cannot. Don't give the wireless password ***** the non-blocking router.
Do you have a home internet modem that goes into the router? Could we potentially plug two routers directly into the one modem?