Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

I have a problem with my new ideacentre stick 300

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Do you have ANOTHER computer you can connect this STICK 300 into? So you can navigate the files on the stick without booting into the OS?

Basically, do you have another ocmputer to work with? NOT a tablet....NOT an iPad.....and actual computer....laptop or desktop.?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes, I have a desktop PC. When I first received the stick I plugged in to a USB port on the computer and the PC did not "see" it.

Hmmm, thats interesting.

How old is that desktop PC?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

About 3 years old. I have Windows 10 on it as well.

So, because this is a STICK....and the ONLY bootable choice you have....is OFF the imbedded memory......im struggling to find another way to get access to the system files.

.

Normally, when this happens....you just boot a sys utility dics (or USB) that will allow you to SEE and make changes to, the Win Sys files.

changing the password ***** to blank.....will bypass the password ***** at the login screen.....and take you directly to the desktop.

.

But becasue this is a stick....you dont have oTHER boot options? atleast thats what im seeing......but as i get more information.....i may find a way in.....please bare with me as i gather up the info

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I can hook it up to wireless keyboard and TV. I know in older Windows operating systems during the booth if you hit a certain function key that it would go into system BIOS/diagnostics. I don't know if that option is available (or how) with Windows 10.

Okay....go into the BIOS, and see if there are ANY OTHER boot options you can choose from?

Does the stick have a micro USB slot for adding a micro USB card to the stick?

YOu might be able to boot from the mUSB slot....and THEN we would be in business!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I don't know how to get into the BIOS with Windows 10. Can you tell me how to do that during a restart?

Yes, it has a micro USB slot but I don't have a card for it.

okay....usually you will hit the DELETE key, or the f12 key....immediatly after you power on the stick....to get into BIOS.

You shoudl see ON SCEEN....just for a second or 2.....how to enter into BIOS. its called the FLASH screen....and it shows up immediatly after power on.

.

Now. in order to use the mUSB ....obviously you will need a mUSB card.....so.....you will have to get one FIRST. 8GB will be good enough.....larger if you prefer.....the larger the size....the larger the cost...just FYI

.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

So from BIOS can't I reset this back to factory or somehow clear this login account?

If I get a mUSB, it won't be until tomorrow. Is that set up by default as a bootable device?

}Nope...BIOS has NOTHING to do with the windows system files (where the password ***** *****)

.

The BIOS is just a way to select WHICH boot order, or to change the HARDWARE settings.

.

Its okay.....we can finish this up tomorrow.......just come on back here and let me know when you are ready to continue.

When we get that microUSB in hand....we will also be referencing this Website for Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

We will be creating a NEW admin account to be able to LOGIN to Windows 10 (Assuming you used a LOCAL account for access.)

If you used a LIVE account for login.....you can simply go to the password ***** feature for Windows LIve accounts.....and you dont have to do all this crazy booting from alternate source.

WINDOWS LIVE RESET SITE

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

When I buy the micro SD card later today, will it be a bootable device out of the box or will I need to do something to make it bootable?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

FYI, it was a local admin account on the stick, not a Windows live account.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the SD micro card.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do I do now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I need to reset an IdeaCenter 300 stick to factory settings or reset the initial (only)login account.
Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you using a keyboard and mouse while using the stick?

Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Never mind that, I notice you mention you used a keyboard in the previous conversation.

Send me a reply when you're available. I'll be online most of the evening.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a keyboard and stick. I have finally walked through the provided instructions at http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/ as this not a Windows live account. The stick does not see (or will not see)the USB stick I configured through Rufus as a bootable recovery device connected via a USB hub (so I could use the keyboard) as a bootable device.
Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. Plug the stick into your TV and set up your keyboard

and do this: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103573

The pictures here show Windows 8.1 so they're a little different than Windows 10

but the procedure is the same.

For Windows 10 use the Reset option. You'll then be asked if you want to keep your files or

remove everything. Choose the Remove everything option.

If you choose Keep my Files you'll be asked for a password.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Will this also work with Windows 10 as that is the OS on the stick? Just hit F2 after the system is turned on and starts to boot? Thanks.

Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.

Yes. It works the same with either operating system.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It says "hotkey is pressed go to boot options". Then it brings up a blue screen that says "System Image Recovery" "Choose an account", and (of course) only the one account that was set up as admin that I do not remember the password. It does not show the "troubleshoot" screen. Is there some other hotkey or hotkey combination to get there? I realize I created the problem. By the way, to use F2 on the keyboard I have to use the "FN" key in combination with that as far as I can tell.

Expert:  Byron replied 6 months ago.
Do the system image recovery. That wipes everything clean and you can start over with a new account.