technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

When I am logged in on my Windows 8 user account, and the user

Customer Question

When I am logged in on my Windows 8 user account, and the user account is locked because another member of the family has been using HIS account; when I enter my password ***** reenter enter my desktop, the screen flashes, and I have to reenter my password ***** When I get in on my account all previous open programs are shut and have to be reopened.
Category: Software
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
Can I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot this issue with you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Cody. Please try to explain for my where the problem might be.
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
If it only happens on your profile, you may need to create a new one by renaming your current profile C:\users\profile.old and also delete your profile in the registry, then login to create a new users folder
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It appears to be an issue on multiple users.When I an logged in on my user, then "Lock" the account, and immediately login again, there is no problem and the desktop is as when I locked the account. If I "Lock" the account, and from the next screen "arrow" back to the user icon screen, a login from there would cause me to login twice, and then the desktop is "reset", as in all apps are shut.
Expert:  Cody replied 6 months ago.
If you're logging in twice technically then yes it will be a blank desktop as if you logged in the first time. From here you can do a ctrl alt delete to open task manager then go to users and right click on the other session and connect to it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are no other session, only the current one.Like mentioned, when unlocking the first time, the screen flickers in black, and window contoures are visible. It appears almost the same way as if you shut down an entire windows session with multiple apps running.
Expert:  technicalcat replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. Is this just a standalone home computer? In particular, are you using REMOTE DESKTOP to connect to this computer, or only logging on on the console (using the monitor/keyboard/mouse attached to the computer)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Its just an ordninary standalone laptop. No remote desktop involved.
I'm thinking you may not be using the lock feature properly, or there may be a problem with your account. I would recommend creating another administrator account in windows, and then log out of your account. Then test using the newly created account, and any other existing accounts you have on the computer besides your existing account that you have the issues with. See if you are able to switch between users without trouble. If you are, then you may want to get any pertinent information out of the problem account, delete it, and go from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changing between users in Windows 8 should be pretty straightforward. I don't think I do anything wrong.I have tried to create a new admin account, but the problem is the same with that account, as with the rest of the accounts we have on this computer.However, I did notice this time, that changing user directly from the desktop of another user (not from the users login) causes the logging off of the selected user, even before entering password. This would then be different from what happens in the users login window, where the logging off happens after giving password (and then you would have to give the password ***** and then "Welcome...".
What exact steps (click by click) are you taking when you say "changing user directly from the desktop of another user"?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. Click the "Start"-button of the left bottom of the screen.
2. Click on the username on the upper right screen
3. Click on the username that I wish to switch to.
What you are describing sounds like a corruption with Windows, and in particular fast user switching. Have you always had this problem with this particular computer, or did you find it just stopped working one day? I would suspect you have not always had this problem, and if that's the case, you'll need to try to : 1) Try to uninstall and recent updates, and in particular Windows 8.1 if you have installed it. -or- 2) Backup any necessary data and perform a complete system recovery
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I solved it. Afraid of having to meddle with reinstalling my entire system, I tried to reinstall my internet security suite, and that did it. Switching user now works as it should.