Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have an old quark document

Customer Question

i have an old quark document, i believe it is quark 4 or 4. every time i open it in quark 8,as soon as i make a change it crashes.
any ideas to help?
Category: Software
Expert:  Justin Williams replied 10 months ago.
Hi, what version of Quark are you using?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
quark 8.51
Often times, a file can contain a font that may be damaged on your system, causing it to crash To determine if fonts are the cause of the problem, try the following:1. Drag the Fonts folder out of the System Folder to the desktop (or close the fonts in your font utility program, such as Suitcase). Rename this folder "Disabled fonts." You may have to restart in order to disable the fonts. Then attempt to recreate the unexpected quit. If it does not occur, one of the disabled fonts may be damaged.2. To test the fonts, create a new Fonts folder inside the System Folder. (If you restarted the computer in the previous step, you will already have a new, empty Fonts folder inside your System Folder.) Then, transfer the fonts one at a time (or in groups according to alphabetical order or label color) from the folder on the desktop to the Fonts folder in theSystem Folder. After each move, attempt to recreate the unexpected quit. Repeat the test until you isolate a particular font.3. Reinstall the suspect font from the manufacturer's original disk. Also worth noting if you are using Suitcase to manage fonts, this could also be related to a font issue in suitcase.
Those are older instructions and the System folder is hidden by default in newer versions of OSX. You may be able to disable any possible offending fonts in FontBook app for troubleshooting purposes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tried that and changed the fonts in "usage" in quark.
what if i send you the old quark file and you convert it to some version of quark that i can work on with my quark 8 version?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
01 May 2016 10:47
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello,I will be the person helping you today. May I start a Secure Remote Assistance session with you so that I can solve this problem for you?In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.If you wish to choose option of Secure Remote Assistance, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no thanks
as i said, very unsatisfied.
please refund the $5 fee.
ok