Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have already asked my

Customer Question

I have already asked my question and paid my money and Anwal was going to answer and then You took me to signing in said you didn't know me and kept me waiting for two temporary passwords'
My question is - My computer lost power and switched off - resumed power and I had lost all my files including e-mail, the computer apparently having returned to its original state except for I tunes, Cannon printer and Adobe reader software. Found my files via Windows C/old/users name and pasted them into the Library files but couldn't find old e-mails. Re-installed Outlook. Next day when I switched on, all gone again and back to original state. Please advise how to return my computer to its former glory.
Category: Software
Expert:  Evan Davis replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, my name is ***** ***** justanswer.comOn the second go around (when you refer to the next day) did you reboot your computer again?My thought here is that you have either your restore partition set as your primary boot device rather than your operating system drive, or a mounted windows installation either in a virtual or physical drive.As far as restoring your computer, we could try system restore first:To choose a restore point, follow the below steps:From the Start menu, type: Restore in the Search programs and files dialog box.From the list of results, click System Restore.In the System Restore window, click Next.From the list of restore points, select the Date and Time you wish to restore from. Let me know if you have any restore points available on step 4. If so it should be earlier than when the issue occurred.Thanks,Evan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I should have said , doh doh, I have tried system restore it took me to a date before the incident but left me in the state described. Did make a second attempt but the date given was later than the incident so didn't proceed.
Did I re-boot the next day? - I had the power off for a few seconds - whilst operating the computer and the dialogue box asked me if I wanted to resume normally. I pressed Enter and there was no change. Should I close all programmes before turning off power to reboot.?
I am afraid that your paragraph 'My thought here is.................. means nothing to me - I am not that computer literate sorry.
No worries, my phrasing isn't exactly clear there.Essentially what i'm saying is that it sounds like what got you into the state you currently are is that you more than likely restored your computer to an earlier state, which you confirmed by doing a system restore. This is noted by your files being in C:\windows.old\users directoryFor your old emails, by default they are stored in one of the following depending on the version of Office you are using:Default locations The default locations to check are:C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Outlook Files\If it's a non exchange based account (something like gmail, yahoo, time warner, your ISP address, e.t.c) it will be stored as a .pst fileCan you check those directories in your old directory that you found for a .pst file?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not think my restore was successful. To access my files I used to go to Start and then click on a file (documents etc) and there it was. These files are empty. Now I have to go to C/user/name/ to get a list and open from that (unfortunately The 'My Picture' link has now disappeared from the list.
So far as the e-mails are concerned there are no developments. Neither of the default locations were successful. Got as far as username with both but could no AppData listed anywhere. No Outlook Files listed in documants or anywhere else as far as I could see.
No trace of a .pst file anywhere.
Not sure about the security aspects of remote assistance.
I agree, I do not believe it was successful either. It sounds like your installation of Windows was overwritten, either by a CD (virtual or physical) setup as a boot device on your computer, that would explain why after a reboot your computer reverts to a previous state.The directories I listed above might be hidden as well, to unhide them use the following steps:Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.Click the View tab.Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.From a security perspective for remote assistance, essentially it opens a secure connection between your computer and the technician, only those two parties are aware of the connection. It would allow the technician to control your computer while the session is active and only while the session is active, you would have to acknowledge the session and when the session is over the technician or customer can deactivate the session. It cannot be reestablished again unless otherwise initiated again by the customer.Thanks,Evan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your response, sorry for delay. I have displayed hidden files as directed and carried out the checks as requested on 10.39. 23rd April. The top one took me to Outlook clicked and got a list of things including my e-mail address, outlook and archive. Double clicked on each in turn and they all asked which programme to open - I tried word that was on the computer and windows that wasn't. None were successful. Could not find e-mails. Followed the old directory path (I click on documents then user - there's nothing that says 'old') but no trace of .pst files. The only way to retain information on the computer is to keep it switched on - switch off and it goes! Perhaps the secure connection should be tried.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You have not responded to my message of yesterday. Is there a problem or do I just go for the 'securely connect' button?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Evan where are you. Please answer.
Hi there, sorr for the delay, I was traveling for work. I am currently on Mountain Time in the United States, I would like to assist, we will need to find a time that works best. It looks like your about five hours ahead of me.I can assist this evening around 6 pm which would be 11 pm your time.If this does not work for your schedule we can find other times or I can try to find a technician closer to your time? Let me know what works best for you.Thanks so much!Evan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
O.K. we'll go for 11pm here. See you then! Will you contact me first or will I just hit the button at that time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is actually going to be 1am here I have discovered (should have checked earlier) it is 16.56 with you now. Can you come on now please. I'm falling asleep!
Sure thing i'm here
If you prefer as well so you can work with someone closer to your time zone I can opt out to let another expert help?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll get on and press the button then shall I. Sorry I was awaiting an e-mail. No lets get on with it. It doesn't go on for hours does it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Evan are you there and going to do this or do you want to pass me on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry I'm going to bed. I'm not a happy bunny. It's 1.40.am.
Sorry we keep missing each other. I understand. Essentially what I would examine via the secure remote assistance is your old files to see if we can recover your email.Shoot me a message when you are up and we'll coordinate. Have a goodnight.Thanks,Evan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Missing each other, we passed shoulder to shoulder but you didn't speak!
I am here until 6pm (11am your time) then I'm out. It is not just a question of recovering e-mails, please read my original statement at the opening to this epic, I file things on the computer and if I switch off it loses them goes back to original state. I am keeping it on at the moment in 'sleep' mode. E-mail me when you are ready.
I understand and appologize for the timing. I am going to give another agent the opportunity to address and file this with customer service as well so to ensure this is routed appropirately so you get the best service possible.Thank You.