Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Global IT Manager at an International Company
93720025

Microsoft Publisher. How do i set a default template upon

Customer Question

Microsoft Publisher. How do i set a default template upon opening a new file? Essentially i am trying to default a horizontal page with no margins. Presently i need to manually do it via page design, but I can't help but think there is a better way. Thanks.
Category: Software
Expert:  Rylan Sharpe replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I can try to help you with your question. What version of Publisher do you have?
Please make the changes you want to a blank file. Once done, click on the File tab and select Save As. You need to type the pathname of the location of your Publisher templates which usually default to C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\normal.pub then click on the Save button.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
did not work. The version is 365. Possible that the templates are online only? It appears that this is the case. I saw that saving as a template is an option. I tried, but is not howing up as a template or preloading. Ideas/
Save a publication as a templateYou can make a template from any publication by saving that publication as a Publisher template file. You can also download a template from Microsoft Office.com, make any changes that you want, and save the file as a template that you can use again.Create or open the publication that you want to use as a template.Click the File tab and select Save As.In the Save as type box, click Publisher Template.Note: The default template location is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder If you save your template to a different location, Publisher may not be able to find it.In the File name box, type a name for the template.By default the template will be assigned to the category General. You have the option of assigning the template to a different category by clicking the Change button and either selecting an existing category or entering a new category in the Template Category dialogClick Save.
Those are the instructions on how to do it for 2016, which is what you should have with Office 365