Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I'm using Quark Version 9.5.4.1 when I'm trying to import PDFs

Customer Question

I'm using Quark Version 9.5.4.1 when I'm trying to import PDFs I get this error,
Unknown error. [1]
I have opened the Pdfs and they are fine.
Any suggestions
Category: Software
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tested importing the same pdfs in InDesign and they work
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Is this happening with specific PDF files? Or any PDF files will give an error when importing?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I put a newspaper together and get a lot of pdfs from all over it just seems to be from one company. They say everyone else they send the ads to works okay but just with us.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Please try to create a PDF (Save As PDF file) using your other programs there like MS Word or InDesign. Then try importing that PDF file and see if you get the same error. This is to test if the problem is with the PDF files or if it is with Quark.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I created a pdf in InDesign and it works okay. I don't know what program this paper gets their pdfs done in.
I have attached one of the customers pdf for you to look at
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Please give me a moment to check the sample file. I believe that indeed this is an issue with the PDF files and not of your Quark. I will get back to you in a while
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Can you also send me the PDF file that you created and tested (which worked) in your Quark so that I can check their compatibility?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here it is
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
The problem file was created by a software Polkadots Software and I believe you imported this problem file to InDesign and save it to PDF. That is, the InDesign-created PDF works but this original creator software Polkadots Software PDF files are not compatible with your Quark.Is this a recent problem? I mean, were you able to import the PDF files give to you by this same company or client before?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes we have been receiving files from them for years. Just started having trouble and they said they are not doing anything different.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. I just hope that indeed they did not do anything different. Can you locate an old file they sent you before that still works or still imports now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it compatible with QuarkXPress 2015
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just looking and will attach shortly
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, please take your time as I check the new features of QX 2015.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This one imports
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
I believe you have created this PDF file since its properties indicate that the PDF was created by InDesign CS3.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for patiently waiting. I have checked the new QX 2015 features and I believe it covers newer and older PDF versions so I believe these files will import just fine there.However, before you decide to buy the new version, please first try to boot your Mac into Safe Mode. When you are in Safe Mode, please try to open Quark and then try importing the PDFs. See if there is no problem importing there is Safe Boot or Safe Mode.Here is the link for the procedures in booting into Safe Mode:http://www.wikihow.com/Start-Your-Mac-in-Safe-ModeKeep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi,How is it going? Were you able to boot your Mac into Safe Boot and test your Quark software there?Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess