technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

I have a lot of old WP documents from 1991-1997 that I want

Customer Question

I have a lot of old WP documents from 1991-1997 that I want to open and store but now have a computer using Word 10. Is there a way to convert these files so I can use them?
Category: Software
Expert:  technicalcat replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. Yes, there should be a way for you to do this. Would you be able to send me one of the documents so I can analyze it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I send it to you?
Please upload using the link below, and then after uploading, copy/paste to send me the link given, so I can download the file. You can send me the link as a reply here. Note: This isn't a secure download, so please don't send a document containing sensitive or personal information. http://wikisend.com
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't seem to be working. I highlight the file and hit upload but nothing happens
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This does not seem to work at all.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I seem to have lost you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Thanks for trying. I will try to find another way to do this. Fred Hayward. [email protected]
No, you didn't lose me, but we are technicians here and are not always able to respond immediately. I'm not sure what trouble you are having with the wikisend. The service does work, and I use it all the time with customers. You need to click browse, and then select the file. Then, after you press the upload button, you'll be brought to a tab that says DOWNLOAD. If it doesn't work like that, try using a different web browser. For example, Firefox, or internet explorer, or chrome. thanks.
Also please note there is a size limit of 100MB for a file. That's pretty large, but if you have some very big files, it could be a problem. If that's the case, then let me know, or try to upload one of your smaller files that's less than 100MB in size.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have uploaded the file Ft Hare 3
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I suspect you can open this file if you have WordPerfect. I have a lot of these files I want to open. Does this mean I need to buy a new version of World Perfect. Will it mess up my Word 10? What is the best way to do this?
Sorry, but you didn't send me the link so I can download the file. The link will start with http://wikisend.com/download/ You should see it in the screen you see after uploading the file. If you have closed it out, just upload the file again, and this time copy/paste the link as a reply to me here so I can download it.
it will be right next to a label that says: DOWNLOAD LINK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I uploaded it and then downloaded it. Did you get it.?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/815706/ Is that the link?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is my wife's birthday and I am taking her out to dinner. Thanks for trying. I don't seem to be able to make this work. I hope I hear back from you on how to do it. Do I need to buy Word Perfect to make it work or is there another way? I have lots of similar files I need to be able to open. I hope to hear back from you when I return from the birthday celebration. I know you are busy, but we have been at it for more than an hour. No doubt due to my lack of tech savvy. Thank you. Fred Hayward
The good news is this file readily opens , with all formatting, in Word 2013. Due to the age, and lack of meaningful extension, it would take more research to determine the exact type of file this is. However, the type of file doesn't really matter in this case, as you can simply open it and other files with Word, and then resave them in a more modern format. I'm not sure if Word 2010 will open them, but I would certainly try. Word is pretty good at opening all sorts of legacy files, and even older versions will usually prompt you through any conversions, or you'll be able to download a pack to allow you to open the file. I trust this answers your question, but if not, or if you have any more related questions, please let me know. Please remember to rate my time and help to you before you leave. This helps me, and I continue to help you both before and after rating until you are satisfied.
I forgot to add. When you open these files in Word, you'll want to do it explicitly.Open WordThen go to file and then openBrowse for the file you want to open, and double click it.------------If you try just going to the file and clicking on it, it may not work or open, because windows doesn't know how to handle it. That problem can be fixed too, but unless you have hundreds of these files to open, it may not be worth the trouble. If you do, I can show you how to do that too, but first you need to open one of them as instructed above to make sure it's working for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried to open it as you said but it didn't work. When I tried to open it I was asked "How do you want to open the file" and then the options were Internet Explorer, Office XML Handler, Note Pad, Paint, etc. but no Word. Word 10 opens when I turn on my computer. So how do I get Word to try to open this? It seems to try but I get the prompt. I do have six or eight of these I need to open. How do I do that? If you opened the Ft. Hare 3 file can you send me the file? Any further advice on how to do this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still hope you can help me. I am not satisfied with the help so far. We spend two hours on it yesterday but I hope there is an answer. Thank you. Fred - e-mail:***@******.***
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know anything more than I did when I started.