Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

Making adobe book 1,000 pages table of contents includes

Customer Question

making adobe book 1,000 pages table of contents includes links to the various documents contained. Can i also show on the table of contents the page number to those documents so that the "paper" copy is more usable?
I want the page numbers to be "live" so that if I add or delete items in the pdf version - the page numbers update. obviously the pages won't appear in a previously printed copy - but that's why printed sucks and pdf is better....
Category: Software
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Do you have you page number in you Header and Footers or just on the pages.\Also do you use windows or Mac waiting your feedback to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7 page numbers added in footer from pages 1-567 for volume 1 of 5. links to each of the ~ 25 documents which make up this manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caralene I am unfamiliar with how these posts work. Is this reply to "forum" or direct chat?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your feedback.It a direct chat between me and you. If i add page number and i delete the page it changes the pages number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to learn how to do it - so can we try chat - and if that doesn't work then upgrade? it isn't about the $26 - it's about needing to learn.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

ok please see if you can do this steps

1. Open the document,
  2. Select the thumbnails that you want to renumber (the first x pages)
  3. Right-click, number pages (or Advanced-> Document Processing-> Number Pages
  4. Adjust these settings, and click 'ok'

Waiting your feedback

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Or you can look at this setting to add your number to theHeader and Footers

Tools - Pages - Edit Page Design - Header & Footer - Add Header & Footer.

Select the font and size, etc, place the cursor on the appropriate site to insert the page number, click the "Insert Page Number" button, and click OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - my table of contents started off as word doc. then became pdf. and in each "item" on the TOC I have made a link box and edited the page number in properties. so I'm not tracking what you mean as thumbnail.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

thanks look at the second info for me

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

What version of adobe do you use??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adobe Acrobat XI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does system allow you to call me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if we can talk while securely connected I might do that because I want to save time
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Please see if this will help you http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/be708beb93234a1db669bf6a3164431a#

i am sorry to say that i cannot call you on phone because i am not residing in your location if you like i can opt out and a expert in your location can call you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you are sure you can help - we can proceed. just need to be certain you can help. i am getting ready to attach the page 1 of the manual so you can understand what I mean.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

please add the page for me to help you ...

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

sorry see this attachment https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how-do-i-add-page-numbers-to-a-pdf-file this is the video what i want to show you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first few pages of manual. created from lots of pdf's added to each other to make large book.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can see near top where I added the p.3 and p.75 comments next to a few items. but that isn't what I want to do because those are dead text - not links which will update page numbers for changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you receive attachment?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Yes thanks i just looking at it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the system would only let me send 1 page - but you can see the links and properties tell you page numbers. i just want to add a viewable page number alongside each TOC item.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

So you want you pages numbers to changes in the index page??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - so alongside GPB17d... see where I wrote p.3 that's the same as the page number referred to in the link.
but if i make the table of contents 3 pages long - well then it becomes p4. etc. so I need the value of that viewable page number to be connected to it's link page #
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

ok i will opt out you will see if one of the other experts pickup you call. The other expert can see what you send me and will pickup from here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i be sure it is someone in usa who can call me if it gets confusing?
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can help pick up from where caraleneK is leaving off.

Adobe Acrobat Pro does not have the functionality you're looking for built-in (although it really should). That said, it *is* possible to add this functionality using plug-ins. Bad news? The plugins are not free.

If the cost isn't an issue, there are two plugins in particular you might want to check out. They are:

https://evermap.com/autobookmark.asp

http://try67.blogspot.com/2011/03/acrobat-create-toc-from-bookmarks.html

Both products work similarly -- they take the "bookmarks" created by Acrobat which correspond to the different pages of your document, and generate a "live" table of contents from that.

Another option is to use a different product entirely. Nuance Power PDF is a an alternative PDF creation software created by the makers of Dragon Naturally Speaking, and has the functionality you are looking for built-in. (They offer two versions of the software, and the feature you want is included with both).

I'm very sorry that I don't have a better solution to offer you, but this is, indeed, an area where Adobe's software is lacking.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.