Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I ran Norton Utilities on my other laptop and and did a disk

Customer Question

I ran Norton Utilities on my other laptop and and did a disk scan and repair. Windows 10 system. Now I am in a loop where I just keep getting restarts and cannot complete them process and a blue screen. Help !
Category: Software
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just waiting, Norton Utilities 16 fyi
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.how many times did you try to reboot and its running in loop?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
many times. Right now the screen is blue, it says "Automatic Repair" Your PC did not start correctly. There are two buttons, restart or Advanced options that I can click, I have tried both cannot figure out anything that gets me out of the "loop"
Click on the advanced option and let me know what do you see next.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you get to it? It is not this one. The options I see are either 1]Continue, exit and continue to Windows 10. I have tried that and the loop keeps happening 2]Troubleshoot, reset your PC or see advanced options, 3} Turn off your PC.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It also says " CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" sometimes
Looks like its stun in inifnity boot loop.you will see the power icon on the desktop do you get one if yesclick on it and then you will get 3 option shutdown restart and sleep when you see these options press and hold down the shift key while holding it down click on restart option. Once it restart you will see windows advance options.I hope you have backed up your data on an external drive before you upgraded to windows 10.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is no power icon it is a bluescreen showing those options I named
Select reset your pc option and let it reset using the do not make any changes to the files and apps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK did that waiting to see what happens
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was a problem resetting your PC message. No Changes were made.Can you access it remotely? Keep getting that message above you know
if you can get the chat opened on the problem computer i can access it via remote.Open your email on the problem computer. Remote assistance is an additional service just for your knowledge.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot get anything to open up only various bluescreen displays no matter what it seems
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there anything in "Advanced Options" that can work?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you with me?
This is a desktop or a laptop computer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Michelle, it is a laptop like I stated initially. Windows 10. Norton Utilities 16 is what I ran, it got me into this mess. I scanned the disk and had selected repair as well on the options. It ran, and I arrived at this problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot get it to do anything but my mouse works and I can click on various options. I cannot see anywhere that I can make it do anything that has any result.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am using a different laptop to chat with you, my work laptop. The other one is right here with me, it is the one I need to fix not this one
dont worry i know this is bit complicated but we will get it fixed.
hold down the shift key while you hit the power button let the computer shut down and reboot you must get the windows advance options let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hope so thank you. I have clicked into advanced options and there is a startup repair option, that seems to be the issue.
what all options you get in there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
System restore
System Image Recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
Go back to Previous BuildSo 6 options
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am running out of time do deal with this right now Michelle. any good ideas for me?
select system restore and choose a back date when the computer was working fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes, I tried that but for whatever reason I get a box that says I have to enable system protection on the drive to be able to restore ---so I cannot do anything about enabling anything the way it looks to me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can get into command prompts !! But I have no idea how to do anything in there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it shows: X:\windows\system32>
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can we make the darn thing do anything productive here?
i am checking possibilities. Do you have a backup of your data on an external drive?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes on a flashdrive
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to go soon, bedtime I get up at 4 AM. is there a way I can command it to do anything that would be useful and quick?
turn off laptop and remove batteryunplug power adapter cordkeep the ON button on computer pressed for 10 secswait for 2 mins and then plug in power cord and battery and turn oncheck if there is any difference or notlet me know how it goes and i will suggest further
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK in process of waiting the 2 mins.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I turned it back on, the Norton program is still doing the same thing
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So we have gotten nowhere so far. I really have to quit unless you know how to have me do command prompts to get things rolling
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there ?
do you want to continue now or you may suggest me a time tomorrow.your time during the evening will be fine with me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just think I need to execute some command prompts to make it do something, it is in a Norton Disk Doctor loop that seems neverending
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is this? CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ??
Try to get into the safe mode and remove Norton.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HOW?
Shut down the computer wait for 2 mins power on and hold the shift key.
once you are in windows screen Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Recovery > Advanced startup. Clicking Advanced startup will restart your PC in recovery mode.
let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry the Norton kicks in, no Safe Mode... I will have to leave now. Sorry.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
goodbye Michelle. Thank you for trying
not a problem we can continue tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not know if I can spare the time so I just need to sign off.
alright.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks again !
Thank you.