IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a Gateway computer with windows 10. I am not locked

Customer Question

I have a Gateway computer with windows 10. I am not locked out of the computer. When I try to log in as Adminstrator, it says incorrect password. I don't remember ever setting the Adminstrator up with a password. Therefore, I can't log on as Adminstrator. How do I rest a password, or log on as Adminstrator
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.Please confirm if your account is a local account or you switched to an on-line (Microsoft) account that comes in a form of an e-mail address.I am awaiting your reply.Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Local account.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, you can reset the password ***** All you need is to boot from a bootable disc that can be either a Windows disc or a special password ***** disc. Let me know if you have a Windows disc with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a Windows disc. The came with 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
In that case, you can create either a Windows disc or a special password ***** disc using another working computer that is able to access the Internet and burn a disc. Do you have such a computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can access the internet. The computer works fine. I just can't log on as Adminstrator. I don't have, and never did have a password ***** the Adminstrator. I do have a password ***** the computer, but that doesn't work for the Adminstrator.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Other than "Administrator", how many user accounts are available to sign in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just Me. No one else uses this computer. It is in my home, and I'm the only person that uses it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK. When you start the computer, do you see a logon screen with "Administrator" and other user accounts listed where you need to select an account and type a password, or it just goes straight to desktop without selecting a user account and typing a password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I log on it goes straight to the desk top. If I click on the windows flag in the lower left corner, a page comes up with my name at the very top left. I click on my name and the option comes up for Adminstrator or myself. I click on Adminstrator and it wants a password. As I said, I don't remember setting a password ***** for Adminstrator. If I had, I would have written it in my computer note book. I am adamant about logging passwords. My windows password *****'t do it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If your current user account can make changes, you can reset the password ***** "Administrator" easily. Try the following: 1. Press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time. Once you see the Run box appeared, type:cmdand press Enter 2. In the black Command Prompt window, type:control userpasswords2and press EnterNote that there is space after "control" 3. The User Accounts window will appear. Select "Administrator" and then click on the Reset Password... button 4. Type and re-type a new password, or just leave both boxes empty for a blank password, and click OK 5. The password ***** then be reset Let me know if it worked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adminstrator does not appear. Just my name,"Jerry"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I missed a step. Stand by"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I removed the check that says, user must inter a user name and password. It still wants a password ***** access Adminstrator.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Is "Administrator" listed users? Also, what group does it say for "Jerry"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here's what it says,administrator1 = administrator: User
Jerry = Debugger User: Administrator
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, try this: 1. Move the mouse over the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and right-click it and select Command Prompt (Admin)2. Confirm by clicking Yes if asked3. In the black Command Prompt window, type:net user Administrator *and press EnterIt should say: "Type a password ***** the user:". Just press EnterIt should then say: "Retype the password ***** confirm:". Just press Enter againIt should then say: "The command completed successfully", meaning the password ***** been reset and it is now blank. Let me know if it worked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says, User password ***** Yes User may change password----Yes
I see nothing about changing the password.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure why is that. I will need to remotely connect to your computer to check this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Miro, you may be a great guy. But I don't know you. I will not allow a remote assistance.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
The remote assistance will allow me to see the problem myself. I cannot know what is happening based on your messages. I still don't know if you tried my last steps where you need to type:net user Administrator *into the Command Prompt window Did you try it, and what happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try, net user Administrator
It showed on the screen that a password ***** required, but I could change anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't say, 'type a password ***** the user"
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you add an asterisk at the end: net user Administrator *
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came up different, but nothing about resetting password. Give me the command again please.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
1. Move the mouse over the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and right-click it and select Command Prompt (Admin)2. Confirm by clicking Yes if asked3. In the black Command Prompt window, type:net user Administrator *and press EnterNote that there is an asterisk at the end. It should say: "Type a password ***** the user:". Just press EnterIt should then say: "Retype the password ***** confirm:". Just press Enter againIt should then say: "The command completed successfully", meaning the password ***** been reset and it is now blank. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing about changing the password. And if I click on anything, it does nothing.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to create a screenshot of the window you see, and then attach it here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so. Let me see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't do it. Any suggestion?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
To create a screenshot, press the PrntScr button on your keyboard and then start Paint. Click inside the Windows search box and typePaintand press Enter Once the Paint has been started, click on the Paste button located in the upper left corner. Then, you edit the image (delete all unnecessarily parts if you want) and save it to your computer by clicking File > Save. Choose a location to save that image, for example to desktop. Once you have saved it on your computer, attach it here by clicking on the paperclip icon.Alternative way of sending that image to me would be to upload it to Wikisend (http://www.wikisend.com) and then paste the download link here so that I can download it.Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Miro, I would think by removing the check in the box that says, "password *****" it would eleminate the need for a password ***** all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "PrtScrn" button does nothing.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
That check-box is for something else. It does not remove the password. I provided two ways of resetting the password. If you cannot follow them, I will need to remotely connect to your computer to apply them for you. Otherwise, I don't have any further suggestions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I right click inside the box, several option come up but,"Paint " isn't one of them. "Copy" is there, but it is not highlighted and does nothing.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I didn't mention right-clicking inside the box. Please read the instructions again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Miro, like I said, I Don't Know You. Before I will allow remote access, I will take the computer in to a shop. It's getting late, I must get to bed. Thanks for your try.
Goodnight,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I am sure you know the folks at a computer shop, so feel free to take your computer to them. Goodnight as well. IT Miro
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know if you took your computer for a repair.Thanks,IT Miro