Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I had been saving an InDesign IDML file regularly - all was

Customer Question

I had been saving an InDesign IDML file regularly - all was fine. Recently I saved, but once I tried re-open, I got this error message:
"adobe indesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."
The good news: It says the work was saved at 6:39 tonight which was my last save, so I hope it can be recovered or opened.
The bad news: It now says the size of the file is only 124 bytes...it was a 95 page document. So that doesn't seem encouraging.
I've also read online about the Adobe recovery auto save folder, but I have been unable to find it on my MacBook in the few places I've been directed.
Please help! I'm in dire need of recovering the file. Thank you!
Category: Software
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is an answer imminent? If not, I will just move on and drop it for now. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll accept the answer whenever it comes, but I can no longer monitor and wait for it for now. Thank you.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. You get the error if you opening a file it with the same or a newer version than it was created with or have you created it on the same version ? Please Export as an InDesign Interchange (.inx) file.

Choose File > Export.

Choose InDesign Interchange (INX) as the type (Windows) or format (Mac OS).

Click Save.

See if you can open the file .Possibility is that the originator of the file has a plug-in installed which is now preventing any copy of the software without the plug-in, from opening the file. Waiting your feedback to help you

Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.