comp_audio
comp_audio, Other
Experience:  20+ years experience with hundreds of software titles and support. I am eager to help you when you need.
44312836

How to crop someone from photo.... i have a mac and also a

Customer Question

How to crop someone from photo.... i have a mac and also a windows based pc...thanks
Category: Software
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 10 months ago.

Hi Chris! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you today.

Cropping someone from a photo can be done a few different ways, but you'll need to determine the best way to go about it based on the content and layout of the photo in question. Certainly, the first step will be to make sure you have an image editor installed that lets you perform these sort of alterations. One of the best -- which is not only an awesome photo edit but is also FREE -- is GIMP. You can download it from gimp.org. Adobe's Photoshop is the de facto standard in image editing, but is not free. You can purchase it from Adobe directly for $19.99/month.

As far as editing the photo itself: if the subject you're wishing to crop is near an edge of the photo, you may find it preferable to crop the entire image down enough to remove the person from being visible. To do that, you'd choose the "crop" tool from your image editor of choice, draw a box around the part of the image you want to keep, and press your ENTER key. Voila!...your modified image discards the area outside of the box you drew, and the undesirable subject is gone.

Another option is to manually "erase" the person from the image; using Photoshop, for instance, this can be done by using the "freeform selection" tool to draw a line around the person you wish to remove; then click the DELETE button on your keyboard, and choose the option to use "Content Aware Fill" for the background (that will attempt to fill in the section of the image you deleted with a background that matches the rest of the picture; in a best-case scenario, this results in a nearly-perfect edit in which you would never be able to tell the undesirable person was ever in the photo).

Hope that helps give you some guidance! Here is some addition information about the process that you might find helpful: http://planetphotoshop.com/removing-objects-with-content-aware-fill-and-patch-in-photoshop-cc.html

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi this is a group photo, and the person is near the center is there a way to do this

Yes, although it would require a lot of work manually "airbrushing" the person out. If you're not afraid to put the time into it, though, it can be accomplished using either the second option I mentioned earlier *or* bu using a combination of layer masks and cloning tools. As to the latter, here is a video showing what that process would look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75AB5srxcow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok and gimp would be able to achieve this?

Certainly! GIMP is a full-featured image editor and contains almost the full set of tools that the more-expensive Photoshop application does. I think you'd be very pleased with its power.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok could you help me find a gimp for mac link

I'm glad to! Here you go: https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/osx/gimp-2.8.16-x86_64.dmg

I hope I've been able to help you today! If you are pleased with my service, would you please take just a moment to rate me? By doing so, you help other customers by indicating to them the quality of service they should expect when working with me, and your positive feedback allows me to be paid for the work I perform.

I greatly appreciate it, and hope you will reach back out to me if I can be of any further assistance to you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi

could you walk me through a basic edit like we discussed by chance?

Expert:  comp_audio replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist you further, but will first read through the history and then get back to you in a few minutes.

Okay, after reviewing this it appears you are looking for some assistance to learn how to crop someone out of a group photo. This being the case, you must understand there are many ways to accomplish this, using different apps and such. Gimp, as suggested, is a free open source program that can accomplish this as well. But from the information you provided it seems the person your wanting to take out of the photo is in the middle of the group, and this can be a very hard and long process. Not saying it cannot be done, but usually something that is not easy for new users or untrained persons. With this said however, it can be taught, and I am willing to try to help with this. But it would require Premium Services as this is a in depth training.

So if you are wanting to continue I would have to ask you to reply to tell me if your willing to accept premium services?