Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

I am working with windows 10 and elements 14 and need to

Customer Question

I am working with windows 10 and elements 14 and need to create a photo page arrangements for my project. Specifically, I need to create a photo arrangement on a 8.5 x 11 sheet where I can drag photos from the Organizer Photo Bin and re-size them to fit together in a uniform manner and then print the page . The only thing that I have found in the Create tab is the photo collage which uses a wizard and doesn't organize them in a uniform manner. The advice that I got was to go a different way and from the Organizer File New menu create a blank 8.5 x 11 page and then go to View and select the Tile option. When the tiles are on the page, drag the photos that you want from the Photo Bin onto the tiles and size them to fit together thus creating a full page of organized photos for printing and saving to the hard disk. The first thing that I found was there is no Tile option in the View menu. Question: 1) What is the easiest way to create this organized photo page and 2) where do find the Tile option to organize this blank page? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I am Reed Campbell at***@******.***
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If not, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've provided. You can always reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll be happy to continue helping.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Michael -
As you can see I am operating in Photoshop Elements 14 on Windows 10. My specific problem is to create group photos displayed on 8.5 x 11 sheets by bringing each photo onto the work sheet and being able to move them around and arrange them in any way that I want and also being able to size each one so that they fit properly and further being able to add text and graphics as required.
In the past I created a lot of these type pages, when I was doing my books using a book making tool that was included in the Family Tree Maker software, that came out really good. Recently, I upgraded my photo software from Microsoft Digital Image Pro to Elements and set about trying to create these same type photo arrangements on pages for other projects that I am working on.
As I pointed out above, the Create function in Elements is structured to their creations using a wizard that won't allow any freedom of photo arrangement. The work around advice that I received involved creating a blank page from the File New menu and then putting a tile format using the View menu on the page to accommodate the photos. This version of Elements doesn't have a tile function in the View menu. Therefore, I need you to tell me how to find and use this Tile function and better how best to accomplish my need for creating this type of photo collage for my project.
Reed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

The tile option would only be available to tile multiple panels. When you say "uniform", do you mean that you want them to be all the same size, or do you just want them to fit together, edge to edge? Placing them manually is an option, but not really practical for a large number of photos.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The best way to describe the photo arrangement on a standard page the page that I am looking for is an arrangement that contains many photos of various sizes fitted together to present a well organized photo collage. I am not sure what multiple panels means or how it is used in the Elements environment. I have attached some examples of my work in the past which is exactly what I want to accomplish. If you are indicating that my version of Elements will not do the job, then I need some advice as to what will work for me. Thanks, Reed

Are you trying to have it create the pages automatically, or are you placing the photos on the page manually?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Michael -
The way that I do it is to take each picture individually and place it on the page or palette and move it around to wherever I like it and then add others again individually and move them around until I get the fit that I want. I also resize the pictures on the page to get the best fit. I then can add text and captions as you can see from my examples that I sent.
Reed

Elements is more of a photo editing software than a page layout software, so what you are doing is much of a round hole, square peg problem. You can do it, but it's not the best software for it. In Elements, you are essentially working with one "canvas" at a time. But you can put several pictures on a page by creating a layer for each one. This will keep them separate so you don't lose the ability to move them around.

If you have an open image and you want to create a new, blank layer, here’s how to do so:

• In the Photo Editor, in Expert mode, click the Create New Layer icon at the top of the Layers panel. A layer with the default name Layer 1 appears in the Layers panel.

• In the Photo Editor, in Expert mode, select New Layer from the Layers panel menu (click the down-pointing arrow in the upper-right area of the panel).

• Choose Layer→New→Layer.

• If you create a layer by using either of the preceding two methods, you open a dialog box in which you name your layer and can specify other options for blending and opacity. Provide a name for your layer and click OK. You should specify the other options directly in the Layers panel later.

When you create the layers, you can paste an image to each one - then to move each image, you can just move that layer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Mike, I will try it today and get back to you however this doesn't seem to be the best way to do this project when I need to do so many pages. What other reasonably priced software will do this page layout job as I'm open to trying a something different? Maybe some simple scrapbooking software will do.
As a last resort I could resurrect my Family Tree Maker 2006 load pictures in there, but that would be just as unwieldy. Let me know on this.
Thanks,
Reed
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 8 months ago.

There are newer versions of Family Tree Maker that would do it, probably with less trouble.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not true Mike. I have all the versions of FTM and all the versions since 2006, when they we to a different protocol, were never were able to make the picture insertion feature work. That's why the last two books that I published with FTM 2010 & 2012 were total failures with pictures & on both of them the software engineers were unable to fix it. On both I did all of the collage pages on 2006 and had my printer insert them into the PDF book file individually. Even pages with only one picture would bleed into the text so I had to do them separately as well. This was a labor intensive effort. Now we have been notified by Ancestry that they are discontinuing support for FTM at the end of the year. To bad, as it is an excellent & quite powerful genealogy software.
I have decided to use a scrapbooking software for doing collage pages and am trying out My Memories Suite v7 right now. Let me know if you have any other suggestions on this issue.
Reed