Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I need to update the software on my desktop Mac so that I

Customer Question

I need to update the software on my desktop Mac so that I can pair my mouse - but can't navigate to do so without a mouse
Category: Software
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Enable Mouse keys using the instructions in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_mouse/computer/mac/os_x/

Then, try using the mouse keys to update and control the computer. You can get instructions from the same link I have given.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't do that because I can't navigate to type that url in.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Can you access this reply on any other computer or iPad?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Please go to the link on your iPad and follow the instructions on your computer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the instructions pulled up on my laptop. I am in Finder but I can not get to the apple icon on the menu bar. Ctrl + f2 does not work. I can only seem to cycle through the files on my desktop
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

First of all, to toggle the Full Keyboard Access, hit Control-F1 on your keyboard. You may need to also hit the Fn key if you have your function keys set up to use the Mac controls for brightness and media.

Once Full Keyboard Access is toggled on, you can then hit Control-F2 to move the focus to the menu bar.

Then, follow the instructions in the link I have given.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing happens.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Try this.

To quickly turn Mouse Keys on or off, press Option-Command-F5, then select or deselect the Enable Mouse Keys checkbox.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing.
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Restart the computer and try again.

• Ctrl + F2 to go to the Apple menu
  • Arrow keys and Return to choose an item from a pull down menu
  • Ctrl + F7 to cycle through the sections of a window
  • Tab to cycle through the controls in a section, and Space to use the highlighted button or checkbox.

Or http://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp/Using-the-keyboard-to-control-the-mouse-in-OSX.html

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I unplugged and restarted the computer, and that doesn't work.
When I did turn it back on and the first screen gives me the option of typing the password ***** either of the two users, there is an option below those fields to restart the computer- but I am not able to navigate to that
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

To turn on Full Keyboard Access, check the All controls radio button in the Keyboard Shortcuts section or just press Control + F7 to swap between each mode. On newer Mac keyboards you may need to use Fn + Control + F7 instead.

This allows the Tab key to be used to switch between all of a dialog box’s controls.

Connect the mouse and check if you are able to use it.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That doesn't work
Expert:  Shefin replied 9 months ago.

Watch the video below and check if you are able to do anything.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't see a link to a video?
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.

Are you still not able to use the mouse? Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkd7kofJbh0

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still can't use the mouse. So, while I can watch the video on another device, I can't enable the keyboard shortcuts on the desktop because I can't use the mouse to navigate on the screen.
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Id like to assist you.

It looks like youve been trying the proper steps, but I know sometimes you just cant get the keyboard controls to function properly. A simple and inexpensive solution is to order a corded mac mouse.

http://amzn.to/1Rlz4q3

This is a temporary solution which will allow you to access your screen, download what you need, and make any software changes needed. And also, its always good to have a corded mouse around as a backup in case anything goes wrong with your bluetooth or wireless mouse / keyboard.

This will definitely allow you to get your mac running again, as a usb mouse wont require you to install anything.. Simply plug it in.. restart your mac, and youll be ready to go.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.