Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I installed Oracle Virtual Box, then installed Windows 7

Customer Question

I installed Oracle Virtual Box, then installed Windows 7 from an ISO disk. Not only can I not access the internet from the Guest OS, I cannot access the Host OS, where the Virtual Box is installed. This was a school assignment, and I have a deadline to meet, and my instructor has not emailed me back. How can I get to my Host so that I can eliminate the guest OS and start over?
Category: Software
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your project.

When is it due?

I can help you via remote and show you how to do it if there's still time.

Also, is it imperative you use Virtual Box for the assignment or can you use any virtual machine?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How are you going to do a remote session when I cannot connect to the internet? The assignment is due Sunday night at midnight. I can use VM or Virtual Box, but when I tried to run the ISO disk that I burned, the file was corrupted, so I used Virtual Box instead.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

How are you contacting me now? Is the VM installed on another computer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am on my desktop. The VM is on my laptop.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

So the first problem you need to resolve is getting the Internet to work on your laptop - the Internet on your VM won't work without the host having Internet access

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the host OS the internet access is just fine. In any case, I cannot access the host. I thought I said all this in my original post.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that's what I understood also, which is why I suggested to connect to your computer (the laptop) remotely and help you from there.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO, BECAUSE, ONCE AGAIN, I CANNOT GET TO MY HOST SYSTEM! It boots in the guest OS.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

You installed Virtual Box on the laptop (the host), which has Internet connection, the guest OS is Windows 7 which you installed from an ISO.

Are you not able to access your laptop's (the host) operating system to reconfigure Virtual Box?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For the 4th time, NO. If I could do that I could fix it myself.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

I am trying to help you, I would appreciate it if you were as patient with me as I am with you so we can get you somewhere positive.

Your question only covers one answer, what you're requesting is a solution to two different problems so I'll help you with the first.

Do you know how to run system restore?

If so, go back into Safe Mode first

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have any restore points or I would have already done that.
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

So what happens when you boot into regular mode, do you get any errors?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Would you like to give a little more detail?