Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

My PC encountered some crashes recently (3 times). Each

Customer Question

My PC encountered some crashes recently (3 times). Each time I got a black screen and a message on it, the reasons are slightly different, but every time it asked me to insert a boot disc. I don't have a boot disc, the software is in the hard disc of the PC. Therefore, I simply forced the PC off, wait a little bit, and then turned it back on. The issue seem temporarily resolved, but a few days later it came back again. How do I get the PC booted while I don't have the physical disc? Will everything be reset? Will this affect my files? I took a picture after today's crash. I'll attach after submitting the question.

Category: Software
Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am sorry you have been encountering this kind of problem? Has the machine been getting slower at all as far as performance or any kind of freezing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It sometimes did get slower or freeze. Today before crashing, it was working OK, but suddenly the webpage became no response, and in ~10 seconds, the screen blacked, some message showed in blink of an eye, I was only able to catch the word "crash". Then another message showed, I took a picture and attached above. After that I force it off.

At end of January, I also encountered the microphone issue, I had to delete the Audio device drive and reinstall it. It cured the issue, but I don't know if they're related, as today's message mentioned about "Media test failure".

Both today's crash and the crash 3 days ago asked for insertion of "boot disk", I assume that if I could do that, the issue could be resolved. Please advice.

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

There are two things that could be happening here either the hard drive has to be disconnected and reconnected or the operating system would need to be reinstalled, the worse case scenario would be the hard drive would be failing. Have you tried disconnecting the hard drive and reconnecting it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How to disconnecting the hard drive and reconnecting it?

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and the model of this machine so I know what we are working with so I can better instruct you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Acer Aspire E1-531-4665, NX.M12AA.032 15.6-Inch Laptop Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Penttium Core, 4GB Memory 500GB HDD

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

This instructional video should show you how to access the hard drive for removal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORwExTNSTy8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The YouTube is showing about replacing a new hard drive. But you only asked me to take it out and put it back in, without replacing to a new one, right? What is this do? Reset something? Will that affect any of my files or software? Do I need to save everything before doing this disconnecting and reconnecting?

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

That is correct remove the hard drive and disconnect it and reconnect it and put it back in. This will not affect your data it is simply reseating the drive for a better connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to do this disconnecting and reconnecting, but still not able to shut down the PC yet. It is installing some updates, but it is at 10 of 14 for nearly one hour, still not finished. What can I do? It says "please do not power off or unplug your machine." So should I just wait? I may have to get back to you tomorrow about the hard drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The PC took additional 2 hours after my previous message to finish the updating when it was midnight. I did the disconnecting and reconnecting for the hard drive this morning, and started the PC. It was extremely slow, and was unable to upload my emails at the beginning. I waited for 15~20 minutes and finally was able to read my emails. Not sure this was because yesterday's updates, or because the re-seating of the hard drive. What do you think?

Also, I'm unable to tell if the re-seating cure the original issue or not. I had 3 crashes recently, in three-day intervals. It was sometimes going slow when I opened too many windows, and occasionally even when I closed all other windows but one I was working on. I may have to wait another 3 days to see 1) if the PC has many of the slow times, 2) if it crashes again. But besides these, could you help me check any other possible causes? Does today's results tell you if it's the hard drive's issue or if it's the OS' issue?

Please let me know what to check, how to check, I'll do it and tell you the results, and send you some screenshots if possible. Thanks!

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

If it's not doing the same thing it was doing you should be ok however you may want to do a disk cleanup and a disk defragment of the hard drive to speed it up, if you don't know how to do that let me know and I can instruct you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can run both disk cleanup and defrag. These will make the PC run faster. However, speed is NOT the issue I have with the PC. Most of the time it runs well, pretty fast unless I opened too many windows at the same time. That I believe is the RAM issue, not the hard drive's.

The issue is that it kept crashing, recently once every three days. I had the audio's issue, then the Internet access issue, and yesterday the "Media test failure" issue. All of these "issues" crashed the PC, so I don't think the disk cleanup or defrag would solve the issue.

Yes, I could wait for two more days to see if it crashes again, but I don't want to take chance here. If I should do something to prevent the issue from causing damages on my PC, I want to test and find what's wrong, what's the real issue and to fix it. I don't want to wait till the day that the PC won't start and I never be able to find what's wrong.

You mentioned earlier that it might be the hard drive is failing, have you already ruled out that possibility? If yes, could you tell me why you think so? If not, how do we test it? You also mentioned about the operation system, did you rule out the possibility? Could you let me know how to check on it? Thanks!

Expert:  lexx3218 replied 1 year ago.

Like I said earlier the hard drive may have needed to be reseated has it done that since the reseating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you think the issue was definitely on the connection of the hard drive?

It didn't crash since the reseating I did this morning. However, it crashed 3 times on 2/4/16, 2/7/16. and 2/10/16. Today is 2/11/16, so even I didn't do reseating, it might not crash either. Also, even it does not crash on 2/13/16, it may still have the issue there and may happen in 5 day, 16 days, who knows. That's why I wanted to make sure that we have ruled out the possible other causes. Could you help me do that?

BTW, I checked about defrag, my PC is on schedule of defrag every week, so it's 0% fragmented.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that I at least found some root cause of the issue. When trying to check system health, I clicked on "View performance details in Event log", and got the screen that has a lot info regarding the system, and it showed the "Event Log" for the operational issues of Microsoft Windows. Here is the screenshot:

Note that the top three entries are from today when I was turning on my PC. The Windows actually shut itself down briefly before it started. This "Shutdown" issue was listed as "Critical". Of cause the "Boot" also had a warning, and an error. In the previous days it constantly had the three levels of issues (warning, error, and critical), mostly for Boot and Shutdown, all at start or during usage.

I also checked, that each time of the recent crashes, there was an event entry right before the crash! So I believe that the Windows performance issue was the major root cause of the crashes. What do you think? What should I do to cure this issue? Delete the current Windows 7, and re-install it? Install Windows 10 and hoping everything will be good? Do something else? Please advice. If you need detailed info for these Event Log entries to make a more accurate diagnoses, please let me know, I'll send you screenshots about them.

If you don't want to continue helping me on this topic, please allow other experts to help me. But I hope you can continue helping me to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

that does not show the cause of the event. Just the variable values at the time.

look at the system above it

or the other errors that occurred 10 seconds before hand under warning and error

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is what showed under "System":

The next one "Warning" is about the Avast Antivirus. It took 40~50 seconds to start. The "Error" also has a bunch of Event Data shown. The "System" portions of the records are almost the same as the "Critical", except the "Opcode" is 33 and 34, respectively, and the "ThreadID" for both are 1924. The EventData for the "Warning" and for the "Error" entries are shown below:

Please note that I didn't have a crash on my PC today, but just when starting Windows this morning it shut itself down (only a few seconds, I almost didn't notice it) before started, and then was able to start by itself.

The PC did have a crash on 2/10/16, I will check the data for that day after this message.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

that is a message from the avast anti virus saying it couldnt do something.

But yes you would want to look at the log for the actual time and date that a shutdown occurred

You might want to try uninstalling the avast and see if that helps

avg has a pretty good anti virus and its free

http://www.avg.com/ppc/ww-en/protection-offer-comparison-30?ECID=ad:go:se:US-EN-XSite-Brand-Free-Search&gclid=CM_OjKrG-MoCFYVAaQodR5QEkQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The PC crashed on 2/10/16 at between 12:25~12:30pm. There were several warnings recorded in the Event log ~ one hour prior to the crash. Nothing right before. I then at 12:31pm took the picture of the screen, where it said:

"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Existing Broadcom PXE ROM.

Mo bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I forced the PC off at ~12:35pm, and restarted it at 12:37pm.

Here are the Event Data I took several screenshot for different entries, and put them into one picture below:

Hopefully you can find some valuable info from all these data, and help me find out what was wrong with my PC and how to resolve it.

Thanks for the help!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

ok it looks like it started with the egisupate.exe

that is part of a program that provides encryption called mywinlocker

it comes preloaded as a trial on some computers

If you are not using it you can uninstall it from the control panel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The image I sent you included the info from 5 different "events" entries for 2/10/16, before and after the crash. Which one you were talking about that you meant started with "egisupate.exe"? Were you talking about the info from the black screen after the crash? How about the detailed info from the 5 events entries? Did they tell you something about the reasons for crash, or any hint on what I should do to improve my PC's performance, prevent crashing, and protect my files? If those "Event Data" are not useful to diagnose what's going on, what other info do you need? Please let me know, I'll do the tests and send you the screenshot. Thanks!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

i meant the one that seemed to start the shutdown sequence

and the one that had an app listed that caused it rather than just data in variables at the time

i would say that uninstalling that program would be a good first step

IF you are not using the drive encryption that it is a part of.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping that you could understand the data variables before the time of crash so I can do something to prevent the crash to happen again. But seems those data didn't provide much info to you.

Since the crash seems related with Windows' performance, I checked around, and found this "Windows Error Reporting" page, and included a screenshot here. Please let me know if these details for each error tells you anything regarding the 2/10/16's crash. Note that the time of the day may not the same as the other list I sent you. Sometimes they use the local time in one occasion, and the manufacturer's time or GMT in another.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

have you tried uninstalling the program ?

Nobody outside of some deep hole at microsoft programming would be able to make anything out of the variables.

But just the fact that it was caused by that program that you probably dont need would tell you to uninstall the program.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On that day before the crash, my PC got 3 warnings when it was start up at 11:23am. Two of them gave specific info: egisupate.exe and lsass.exe. I checked online and found they are good healthy programs, and egisupate.exe seems pretty useful to shred files. The two programs didn't cause more issues afterwards, so I decided to keep them.

Another person suggested me to re-seat the hard drive. I did it, and have not experience any crash since then. However, I still keep getting these "error", "warning", and "critical" events logged in every day though much less than before the re-seating. So I believe that the re-seating did something and improved the performance to certain level, but there are some other issues not caused by the connection of the hard drive are still there, not diagnosed yet. That's what I'm trying to get help here. I'd like to cure this problem from my PC. Thanks!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

so it has not crashed since the time that the stuff you showed me was created ?

Honestly i wouldnt worry about it that much. windows is always putting warnings in the event viewer. Most of them arent a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did crash after those warnings. The three warnings were at ~11:23am when I started the PC. It crashed at nearly 12:30pm on 2/10/16. The next morning, I re-seated the hard drive. After I re-seated the hard drive, "error", "warning", and "critical" events became less than earlier, and have not crashed since 2/11/16. Before the 2/10's crash, the PC also crashed on 2/4/16 and 2/7/16, 3-day intervals.

Right now, although it has been 9 days not crashing (it's a very short period), but everyday when I start my PC, Windows shutdown itself for a fraction of a second and restart itself, that's the thing that is worrisome. Seems that if it can't restart itself, it'll crash again. That's why I wanted to find out why it kept shutting itself down, and hopefully to resolve the issue.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

what is on the list AT THOSE EXACT TIMES when it restarts itself ?

I think that you will find that it is that egisupate.exe program

and again i suggest uninstalling it. shredding documents isnt much of a reason to keep it. there are much simpler shredding programs out there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At the EXACT TIMES of restarts, the event log recorded all different kinds of things there. For example, on 2/10/16, at 11:23:47am, there were three warnings when the PC was started and that it shut itself down very briefly and turned back on again. The three warnings include one with just event data, and two programs "egisupate.exe" and "lsass.exe". However, each day it seems some different things were recorded in the log. For example, on 2/19/16, there were the following things that recorded in the event log when the PC had the same behavior (shut down itself and restart during starting): p2psvc, explorer.exe, CryptSvc, avastui.exe, RAVCpl64.exe, PNRPsvc; on 2/20/16, all data, no programs can be identified; on 2/21/16 (today) the following: aswSnx, eventlog, EapHost. In fact, the last one and some of the ones I listed above are actually Microsoft products, part of the operation system. I can not delete every program that showed on the event log, my PC would be dead now if I did so. I believe these are not the programs that CAUSED the problem, but just during the problem they were there being booted. Something else is causing the issue.

At the night of 2/10/16 when I shut my PC down, there were 14 updates to be installed. The process took several hours, till about the midnight. Since then I noticed that every night there were 1 of 1 updates to be installed. After 10 consecutive days(!) I decided to check about it. I found that there is this one "Important" update (KB3115858) that is sitting there waiting for installation, and was failed being installed numerous times. I tried all different ways to resolve the issue, including ran the Windows Update troubleshooter, manually install, temporarily stop/exit all antivirus/anti-malware and cleanup programs, but still cannot install this update (please see the attached update history). I think these are all related issues, the crashes, shutting down during starting, and now every time the PC is turned off it is trying to download the update, and when I turn the PC on the next morning, it tries to install/configure it, but always failed. They might be caused by the same problem in my PC, that is yet to be found.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

try installing them manually in safe mode

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do it? When I turn on the PC, it automatically goes to normal mode. Is there any way that I can change it to safe mode after it's on? Can I still access Internet normally with safe mode? And how to change it back to normal mode afterwards? The updates usually require restart the PC. After restarting, do I need to change it to safe mode again for it to finish the whole installing process?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

for windows 7 you should be able to start in safe mode just by tapping F8 while turning the computer on

no just let it restart it self after you do the updates

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried safe mode, but it didn't work, as I was unable to get the update to download and install under safe mode.

Here are the two screenshots under safe mode.

On Control Penal there was no "System and Security" item, but only "System", therefore there was no choice for Windows Update, so I wouldn't get that update to install. I was trying to turn on the Security Center in safe mode, it wouldn't allow me.

When I get back to normal mode, it showed that the installation was failed, the same as I have been getting in the past 2 weeks.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I think that i would have to log in remotely to work on this with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't feel comfortable having someone taking control of my PC. Would prefer to send screenshot to you, you tell me what to do, I do it myself, and send you the results.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should first download the update to a USB, and then install it from the USB in safe mode, so I don't have to download when at safe mode. The problem I couldn't do it in safe mode was because I couldn't find a place to download the update after entering safe mode. Do you think this method will work?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

It might if you can find a place to download it. microsoft is going away from that type of service and more towards the apple type of "just do it all automatically so people dont have to think about it"

I think that i have gone about as far as i can go with you in this fashion so i am going to opt out.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

I have remoted into computers several thousands of times with no issues. The remote is no type of security issue. Once you or I close the remote session, I will no longer have access to your screen. When I am connected, you will see the "connected icon". Once I am disconnected, that icon will not be there. The problems you describe are not easily fixed. I will offer my remote services. If you don't want them, please let me know.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for offering the help. Really appreciate it.

However, I'd like to know what the possible problems you think are not easily fixed and must be through remote service? So far each of the experts just wanted to have some quick guess and give me suggestions based on those guesses, and no one is willing to patiently give good diagnoses of my PC.

The diagnoses include first list some possible causes of the issue, and then ask me to take steps for each possibility, and send screenshot of each result. With the results, you may exclude some of the possibilities and narrow down the range of diagnoses. From there, then give me more steps to go deeper in order to find the real reason of the problem.

My original question was triggered by the three crashes in a roll. The first expert asked me to re-seat the hard drive, I did. Although so far my PC has not crashed, it does not mean the issue was resolved. He said the cause could be the hard drive failure, or OS issue, but he refused to answer my question on whether or not these possibilities were ruled out. I had to use Windows help to try diagnose it myself. Windows directed me to the Performance Event Log where I found all these records of "Warning", "Error", and "Critical" events. I suspect that these events are related to the crashes. I don't know if my guess was correct or not. Nobody supported or ruled out my guess yet. The expert couldn't figure out what were the causes of the crash issues, nor what the detailed data in the Event Log mean. So far it seems to me that the problem is the performance issue or the OS issue. If the operation system is the root cause, will upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 cure the problem? What are the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows 10? .

The reason that there is not a list of possibilities behind why you are having your problems is that you have not allowed us to remote in and analyze your system. The problem is most definitely a problem with the operating system. If you upgrade to Windows 10, the problem will be fixed as well. The pros behind upgrading to Windows 10 is that it will solve your problems.