Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

I have paid a contractor to build an Android TV box app. I

Customer Question

I have paid a contractor to build an Android TV box app for myself. I am not 100% satisfied with the app/developer and feel as though I would like to try someone else to fix/finish the app. What can I ask from the current developer to hand over (source code? files?) so a new developer can take over (not start from fresh, but fix the issues, bugs etc..)?
Category: Software
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The app was developed in Android Studio
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Whether the code etc. can be handed over to a third party or other developer, to re-do the code, depends upon who owns the code, or the licensing or copyright (if any) that applies to the code.

And the subsequent permissions that dictate limitations to re-use, handing over, etc. of the code.

What contract did you have with the current developer, as it applied to the code? any mention of ownership of the code, is most significant with regard to your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I own the code/app

If you own the code and the resultant program from the code (i.e. if you own both the source code and the object code), then you have no difficulties, I don't think:

1. provide the code needed to the new developer/programmer,

2. make sure you keep the license (and ownership of) & to the result of the work by the new developer, and

3. appreciate the results.

If this answers your question fully, please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What . (dot) file type do I need to ask him/her to turn over? Again, the app was made completely in Android Studio?

The source code files from which the app was developed would be the ideal (minimum, the very least) needed.

What file extension or file type those are, depends upon how the app was developed, with what programming package, etc. (If it were developed with Java, they would be .java files, if it were developed with C++, they would [I think] be .c files more or less, and so forth. I don't think it was Java developed! it might be C++... but I just don't know. So, 'Source files for the app' is what you need to ask for.)