Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am trying to upgrade my other computer to Windows 10, the

Customer Question

I am trying to upgrade my other computer to Windows 10, the User Account Control box says to type in an administrative password ***** 1) there is no place to type it and 2) I have no idea what it is.
Category: Software
Expert:  GeekGal replied 10 months ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 10 months ago.

The password ***** it is asking for is the password ***** you use to login to your computer, assuming that you are an administrator. We can try to turn User Account control off for the purposes of updating the computer if you would like. Here are the steps to follow:

• How to Turn User Account Control On/Off in Windows 8

Here's how to turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off in Windows 8:

1. Press Windows Key+X on your keyboard to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel. Or, right-click the lower left corner of your monitor to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel.
  2. Type UAC in the search field in the upper right corner of the window.
  3. Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
  4. Then do one of the following:
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify, and click OK.
    • To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level of security, and click OK.
  5. You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  6. Reboot your computer for the change to take effect

Please try this and let me know how it goes. If it solves your problem, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This did not solve my question...there is no place to type in the admin password!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. i will open up your question to other experts so that someone else can try to help. Have a great day!

Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with windows 10 upgrade.

Let me know on which screen you are in right now or you can click a photo of the screen and post it here let me analyze the screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you...it is not this computer, the box I get is the blue User Account Control Box...it says "to continue type an administrative password ***** click yes"...the only problem is there is no place to type it!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The other tech gave me the whole list of instructions to disable or change the password, but if there is no place to put in the password ***** how can I disable it?

not a problem, as its the other computer can you click a picture and post it here let me see the screen then i can suggest you further steps to follow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I shot a photo with my phone...I'm emailing it to myself...

open the email on this computer and save the file on this comp use the paper clip icon on this chat box to past it here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It won't let me save just the photo...it's a jpg, I'm not sure why it's not saving...
working on it...

take your time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjJ-7azi9A8h93LUXA2B4bo6d07EyliHVobdkomlZAAnpqvgJ4R4TukzIspTKYfJe3k5GH4nkLovJSeSm65J69qU1w/messages/@.id==AGkaDUwABrjEVrDjYQBSCIsr0Tw/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YahooMailNeo&ymreqid=a3cc9d7e-7c15-13da-0187-2b0002010000&token=i7J6C9Q4g-pzdF_2_kPhAYUbJS6KonjnTMf2z1TxsDybk13EpIG4_XOtaDVi97zB_tmbZU_QP6bd5QzJLzvu9w
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hopefully just sent you the link to the photo...I've never had so much difficulty copying and pasting a photo...I apologize

didnt work you can upload the picture on the link given below and let me know the download link

http://www.filedropper.com/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here it is...see below

This is user access control screen press the yes button.

take the mouse on top of yes it will get clicked once you click on it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's not highlighted...I can press until tomorrow but nothing will happen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Only the "no" button is highlighted and I can click on that. but the "yes" button is dim, un-highlighted, and all the clicking and pressing in the world does not change it.

press the tab key on the keyboard and see if it gets highlighted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tab key only highlights only "show details" and "no" buttons

not a problem press and hold down the power button on the computer for 10 seconds it will shut down and then you check if there is any external device connected to the computer if yes unplug it and wait for 2 mins and power it back on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, powered it off; no external devices connected to it. I'll get back to you in 2 minutes

sure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Turned computer back on, went back to user controls, same box, same un-highlighted "yes" button...sigh.

user access control comes up when you are not logged in as an administrator however reboot and let me know on which screen does it come up. Do you have to select the windows update manually or let me know what screen it comes up with.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It comes up when we want to upgrade the computer to Windows 10, and it comes up with we want to add or remove programs, any time we want to make any kind of change to the computer.

what is the original windows os it has windows 7 or 8.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Windows 8

how many user accounts you have on the windows 8 login?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On that computer? Just 1

create a new user account and assign administrator rights and then you login to the account after that you run the windows 10 update manually.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ummm...how do I create a new user account?

click on the search box type in user account you will see the icon click on it and then proceed further.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to user accounts...my only options there appear to be change your account type and manage another account...both of those take me to that same user account box I sent you where I cannot put in a password

you must have the option to create an account if you are the admin to the windows 7 computer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
typed in user accounts where you said, all the options require a password, but there is no place to type it

did you try to scroll down the page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But this is Windows 8...I am the administrator but there is no place to put the password!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nowhere to scroll...it just gives me the options at the top of the page

on which screen are you right now where you do not get a password ***** enter can you take a picture and post it here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's the same photo I sent you a while ago. The very same.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It asks for a password ***** does not give me a place to put it. No matter what I do on that computer I get that box.

user access control?

can you login to normal windows 8

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

once you are in windows screen let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok...I'm in Firefox home screen

i can take a look using remote access. Remote support is an additional service however to check the depth of the problem i will not charge and incase it requires more time and more troubleshooting steps then i can send you the additional service proposal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sure...

click here for remote assistance

How Remote Desktop Works

1. Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.
  2. The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.
  3. Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.
  4. After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I agree but it is not this computer. How do we do that?

open the link on the problem computer when you are on the desktop screen open justanswer email and then the link.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I downloaded it but am not sure how to open it...I am now on the problem computer

are you getting my message on the remote screen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I see where you are typing but then there is no message

you have installed and given me the teamviewer number all you have to do is do not decline click on trustworthy.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I downloaded teamviewer, the id is 167 528 711 and the password ***** *****

allow the connection on teamviewer screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did that

do you get a prompt now to allow access?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how did you override the password *****?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should we restart the download, since it's taking so long?

michelleclive: are you getting my message on the remote screen?
michelleclive: open firefox and then open www.teamviewer.com and install it.
michelleclive: let me know the id and the password ***** teamviewer i will try to connect alternate remote tool.
michelleclive: http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/
michelleclive: grand the permission if you get one on your screen
michelleclive: are you there?
Guest: yes
Guest: allow control is on
michelleclive: let me check again
michelleclive: allow the connection now
michelleclive: do you get a prompt now to allow access?
michelleclive: now follow the upgrade steps on your screen and let it upgrade to windows 10
Guest: what did you do? I was working on my own computer...
michelleclive: running the upgrade to windows 10 and its downloading now
michelleclive: follow the onscreen steps to upgreade and let me know if you find any problem.
Guest: not seeing your messages
michelleclive: This will take time
Guest: ok
Guest: should it be taking this long?
Guest: did not see your response...
Guest: Are you still in control of this computer?
Guest: I suppose when I see you are writing something that means yes, even though I cannot see your responses
Guest: should we restart the download?
michelleclive: no please do not do that it can crash windows
michelleclive: let it take time this is a long process it might take an hour or may be 2 depening upon the download speed you have.

Guest: Oh! I saw your message! Thanks! I'll let it ride, then. as they say. Thank you!
michelleclive: Thanks

michelleclive: still downloading please let it complete and then you can follow the on screen steps to upgrade.
michelleclive: let me know if you find any problem after download.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning. The computer has been "downloading" Windows 10 all night, still not complete. Also - the issue I originally paid for has not been resolved...I still get the box saying we need a password, with no place to put it. I seriously do not have time to mess with this today...If it is an unresolvable issue please refund my $36, and I'll look elsewhere for assistance. Thank you.

You may give it a once more try as this does not take this long to upgrade.

Push and hold down the power button on the computer for 20 seconds it will shut down the computer let it sit for 3 mins and then power it back on it should continue to download and finish the update and should not take more than 30 mins.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do. I'll let you know. Thanks.

alright.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I restarted the computer but the update download has disappeared and I cannot access anything without the password, and again there is no place to put it. I'm so sorry.

use the tab key and see if it jumps to the password ***** or not. Is is windows 7 or its on the windows 10 screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still Windows 8, tab doesn't work...same as yesterday, yes button won't highlight

do you have a backup of your data on an external drive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no...not that much on this computer.

as per the troubleshooting it seems that the problem is with windows 8 internal files which is preventing us to run the update.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the solution? Is there one?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is that also preventing the update box from showing a place to put the password?

yes there is a solution which we can work on. Backup your data on an external drive and then we would perform a factory reset after we get a new copy of windows then we can run the windows 10 update without fail.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would have to go out and purchase an external hard drive. I could probably do that this afternoon after lunch. I'll get back to you then, if that is ok...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What happens if it won't let me do a back up because of the whole password *****?

we will try to be on the safe mode and then try i can try remote access and will see what password ***** ***** into prompt.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I'll get back to you this afternoon. Thank you!

can you make it in the evening your time if that is fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where are you? What time zone? We're central...it's nearly 9:15 AM right now

its 2:15 Am my time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wednesday or Thursday? Oh my goodness. Go home, go to bed! You're either 16 hours ahead of me or 7 hours behind...

mine will be wednesday and yours will be thursday

Its 16 hrs

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No matter. I'll see if you're available later this afternoon. Thanks!

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning! I did not have time to speak with you the past two days, we were busy with work. I am wondering if you can still do the factory reset - I tried to do it myself but of course the computer asked for the password ***** no place to put it...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I purchased the external hard drive and have transferred all necessary files to it.

Hi, apologise for the delay in response but there is a 12 hrs plus difference in our time zones

let me know the make and model of your computer and i will list down the steps for a factory reset as well as steps for windows 10 manual upgrade which you can try

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good evening. Thank you for all your help, I was able to do the factory reset myself, and installed Windows 10. The password ***** was resolved . Thank you very much!

you are welcome

let me know if you have any questions

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top right of the page and hit submit. . Thank you.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer