Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

Yesterday I recieved an email supposedly from nortons

Customer Question

Yesterday I recieved an email supposedly from nortons telling me that I had to change my password. No reason was given. Being the computer
Talented person that I am I didn't question and tried to change it. For some reason it didn't work. I got in touch with another support company (sorry, I feel like I'm using you🙁). They told me it was a scam of some sort and to ignore it because I have an iPad and it couldn't effect it. I'm worried about using my computer again so I'm asking for your advice. I hope you can help me. jennie
Category: Software
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I will try my best to help you

Ma'am from the above description you gave its a scam email.To investigate further i need more details.

1.I need to know the full email address of the sender

2.Does that email have any web links to change the password ***** what password ***** they telling you to change is it for your PC or email account?

Sincerely,

Note: - To reply back to me use the reply box below in this page.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Ma'am checking to see whether you still need my help.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Note:-To reply use the box below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi John. Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you, I haven't been well. My computer is an ipad. They only requested that i change my pass word. Since then I have changed my password ***** because i couldn't remember what the last password ***** and I was worried that they would know it. I spoke/emailed one of your staff and she helped me to setup a new one. I must admit i am nervous about using my computer. This is the second time someone has tried to break into it. I'm using my phone now. Thanks for all your help. I should've recognized that it was a scam. Why would norton want me to change my password ***** no reason? Thanks again. Jennie Ryan ☺
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.I hope you are doing well now.

I don't see any questions you asked regarding such scam issue you faced previously maybe you used a different account for asking that question.

I don't believe its an email from Norton.Could you please let me know the email address of this scam email also if possible the message in that email so that i can investigate on this issue?

Do you have any Norton products installed in the iPad?

Also did you change password ***** your email or iPad?

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi John☺ I do have Nortons and that was the account they were trying to get into. I don't know why. Why would you won't to get into a nortons account? Anyway...for some reason I couldn't change my password ***** that is when I asked for help because I thought it was me doing something wrong. Since then I have successfully changed my password. Thanks for your help. Jennie
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for details.

I had done some research online to see if such emails send by Norton to change password ***** Norton account and it seem they do send emails as part of a secure process to ensure only you can reset your account password. I believe this happens if you haven't accessed your Norton account in a long time.

I am not 100% sure about this until i know the full email address of the sender so could you please let me know the full email address and the content in it.