Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

USING PHOTOSHOP. I HAVE A SHOT OF A BOAT SAILING AND WANT TO

Customer Question

USING PHOTOSHOP. I HAVE A SHOT OF A BOAT SAILING AND WANT TO LIGHTEN JUST THE BOAT - HOW? USING DODGING ISN'T THE ANSWER, IT EFFECTS MORE THAN JUST THE BOAT. I NEED TO REMOVE THE BOAT, LIGHTEN IT, AND THEN REPLACE IT IN THE SAME PHOTO, ANY IDEAS?
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

You could remove the boat by using the magic wand - just make sure that with any selections you are doing, you have the "contiguous" selected. This will cause it to select only contiguous pixels and not pixels that are anywhere on the canvas. You could also create a clipping mask so that the effects you apply will only apply to what falls within the clipping mask. I usually prefer to select the object and do a "layer via copy", then work on the cutout of the object and lay it back on it. It gives me more options - but the "right" way to do it really would be with a clipping mask.