Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

The operating system did not shut down properly.

Customer Question

The operating system did not shut down properly. Reconstructing cache metadata, please don't interrupt. Reading packed metadata into memory. Failed to read packed metadata.
Press esc to continue. Will not load windows. It says the drive that windows is loaded on is locked. Please help.
Category: Software
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Youve encountered a hardware failure, it could be your ram, hard drive, or motherboard. Questions....

Whats the full name brand and the full model of the computer.

How old is it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Asus, all in one, about 2 years old.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry ACER, all in one, 2 years old.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Since its past two years old, youre outside of your warranty. Question, before you get the reconstructing error. Do you see the windows 8 sign in page first, the one that asks for your password?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it's dead. I have a restore thumb drive which lets me get to the DOS prompt but none of the other restart options work.
Not happy since it was plugged into an APC unit which is supposed to protect from power surges.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok, if you start up and immediately press alt and f10

Or, rapidly tap F8

Or, tap f1, f2 or delete.

Do any of these methods bring up any screens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alt F10 gets me to the blue screen. Refresh your computer response is " The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and start again.
Reset your PC "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.
Reset your PC "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found.Does not look good.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hmmm.. Maybe we dont have to replace the hard drive after all..

What we will need to do though definitely, is reinstall windows. Or use a recovery drive.

Did any of the F1 , f2, escape, delete, f11 f12 keys get you into the bios settings or boot manager?

And also, do you have a usb memory stick nearby thats at least 8 gigabytes in size?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the USB recovery drive 32 Gigs I made it but I cannot get anything on the computer to react. I can get into BIOS but I'm not sure how to do any recovery there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I actually am in BIOS right now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

In the bios, you should see several sections across the top.. Along the lines of info, system, boot, security, configuration, exit

We use the arrow keys to navigate the bios, the mouse wont work. And if you look around the edges of the screen it will tell you what keys change values.

What we are looking for, is most likely in the boot section or security section

We want to disable secure boot if you see it

We want to disable fast boot if you see it

We also, want to adjust the boot order so that the usb drive is set to the first priority.

Once we make these changes, we want to save the settings and exit.

If youd prefer, we can move this to phone support to cut down on the back and forth time of navigating the settings and making changes.. Other wise, let me know which options your able to find and change, specifically, as you change them.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll save the $20 buck for now. Ok I disabled the secure boot and I disabled the fast boot and now I am changing the to the usb drive to the first priority. all done.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still no way to start windows.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. By the time you responded, my shift was over and Ive been at it for a while today.

Question.. I thought I read before that you had created a USB recovery drive.. After making the changes above did you install the USB recovery drive and try to boot from it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I am not going to spend another $20. You either know how bad this is or not. Give me a new idea or go away. I' m not trying to be rude rude, just need to move on.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

It does seem you are being rude.

At no point have I asked for any extra money from you and at no point have I received any money from you.

If you read my replies, you will see Im trying to help you.. Its 11:19 at night.

If you want further help I will be online tomorrow.

Dustin S.