Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My name is ***** ***** Brinlee. I get the message

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Brinlee. I get the message "Installing Update 1 of 2" everytime I shut down my laptop.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Every time I logoff or shutdown I get the message I just gave you. The update fails every time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Software
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.

Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.

If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.. Lets run a couple of repairs.

First, follow the steps on this page to try and repair and reset the broken windows update components.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Download, install, and run the automated repair on the page above.. Once its complete. restart the computer and test.

The key here, is it should try and install updates on the first restart.. After that, when you restart again it should not say installing 2 updates.. ( it could say its installing ten or none, but not the same exact number )

So run the repair, and restart the computer a couple of times to see if it will actually install the updates now.

If you run into any issues, send a reply so I can assist you further as needed. Thank you~

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.