Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programmer
Experience:  Java, iOS, VB.net, SQL, C+, C++, Obj C
68869132

Having a similar issue as previous poster with my Gateway

Customer Question

Having a similar issue as previous poster with my Gateway DX4870 and not being able to get any GPU recognized. I have tried updating the BIOS several times, even adding in the "Don't check ROM ID" option, but still nothing. When I power on computer I get the POST beeps and I'm sitting at the screen with the Press Del for BIOS. What should I do?
Category: Software
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hey Jesse, I'm Tim and will do my best to assist you. Sorry you are having issues with your GPU, i know first hand how much that sucks, it really cuts into gaming.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. What can we do to resolve this?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Dells and Gateways have had a reputation of not allowing some video cards to be added, specifically gaming GPUs, as you probably guessed this is locked down in the BIOS. I do not know of a way around it, and i doubt anyone else does. Also that Dell has a 300W Power supply unless you changed it which is the bare minimum for the GTX 750 ti FTW, but granted it should work. I hate to say it, but Gateway is probably not the way for you to game, if you can perhaps look into building a PC or one form somewhere like ibuypower that sourcess standard parts for their build. I Can't tell you the Logic in Gateways plan here.....They and a few other manufactures are also soldering internal cmos batteries onto laptops so people can not swap the battery out and need to pay for a new unit.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

It's a bummer, i know.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

If it were me, and i was on a budget, i'd take parts from the Gateway and build my own system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 700 watt Corsair PSU
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Your basically trapped by their motherboard.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

then your PS is fine, i was sure that was not it as it would still boot even with a lesser PS, like i said its the motehrboard, or bios - same thing.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

The Case and the Motherboard need to go, the case has to go because a new Motherboard will not fit in it. Gateway,Dell etc all use propitiatory cases and motherboards, which is generally the cause of peoples upgrade problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if want to get another motherboard, say a NVIDIA what other component would I need also?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

So if you want to use as much as you cam off of your current build, you should only need to buy a case and a motherboard -

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Possibly memory.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it? What about memory with the MOBO?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Like i said, your memory may well work - But yeah, you might need to buy 2 Dimms of Memory which is really cheap

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

If i was doing it, i'd order the memory as well so i had it and try using the memory from the gateway, if it works send back the new memory, or just use it.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

CPU, Harddrives, Power Supply are all fine for another system.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Oh, you also need a retail version of windows

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is ZERO workaround for this? That's seems hard to beleive.Gaming is not extremely important, a friend got me into SWTOR and I just wanted to turn the settings up, and also on KOTOR.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I have no reason to lie to you man.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is there even a PCI E x16 slot? There has to be something that will work
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'm sure some low end video cards work, specifically ones they sell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't say you lied, but we're not even trying. I've seen other say the problems were resolved, even on this site. It was some kind of upgrade or something
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I see no references to success. The problem you are reporting is pretty wide spread. The only way around would be some type of custom bios hack.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Googleing dx4870 and upgrade video card which i'm sure you did, there is no Joy.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

With that said, i'm sure there are some cards that will work, but i doubt any of them are decent gaming cards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That really blows cause the last card was a non refundable refurbished card......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, do you have any recommendations for a build? MOBO brand, case size, memory?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying I have to purchase Windows again?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, i can help you there. The Good news is this, Once you move to a standard PC, everything is one size fits all pretty much.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yup, the windows recovery disk that came with your gateway is locked to it, it wont boot and install on another PC build.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gateway isn't a "standard PC"?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

motherboard controls all, its most likely locked to that exact motherboard, but you an try it.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Some might call it standard, to me and most gamers/tech people standard would use a standard ATX case and a motehrboard that would fit it. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does, thanks for explaining. I'm a console gamer and the PC stuff is new, so I appreciate that.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

No problem, trust me i know its confusing. I had this same problem in 1997 when i first started computing, and had a old compaq and my new Voodo 1 card would not work.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

That's how i became an engineer, as sad as that is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so I have an AT, and I need to get an ATX.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'm looking at parts, can you give me a rough budget? And tell me how much wiggle room you want for upgrades?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

ATX is the standard for Cases and Motherboards. So any ATX case will fit any ATX motherboard, even if the technology is obsolete.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Let me put it to you this was, i have the same crappy ATX case now that i had 9 years ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep it low but not junk, I have a Best Buy CC with a $750 limit, and I've got maybe $400 that I would want to put into it.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

OK, so are you only buying from best buy?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

i'm looking on Amazon, which is probably the best bet.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to start putting stuff while I look at other stuff, feel free to ask about any of it ok?

Mother board.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-MicroATX-Motherboard-H81M-E33/dp/B00F42W70A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451004306&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+motherboard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool Master looks like a good case
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Computer-Gaming-Desktop-CASE-V01/dp/B011AJRSK4/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451004681&sr=1-5&keywords=ATX+case

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

CoolerMaster makes fine cases, since you have your own Powersupply, the case doesn't really matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Everything looks good so far.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Memory to grab in case stock memory does not work (its cheap enough and faster than stock memory, you may just want to use it)

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-2x4GB-1600MHz/dp/B00J8E93G6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451004752&sr=1-2&keywords=hyperx&refinements=p_89%3AKingston%7CKingston+Technology%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-System-Builder/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to step away for a minute. I'll be back. One question, does that MOBO have the SLI slots for multiple GPUs?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

That's all you need Man. You have a dvd rom right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

No SLI. But even if it did, i never recommend it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I trust you. I kinda wish I had kept the GTX 960 FTW.....grrrrr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure the 750 ti FTW will work but still.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yeah it will, SLI is almost always never worth it. Video cards are not that expensive to warrant two cards, and even with you are at the mercy of the game to support SLI

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

And SLI and Crossfire never = 100% improvement, it's 80% Best case scenario, and a lot of the time 0%.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

your playing the battlefield starwars right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, Stat Wars The Old Republic, it's a MMORPG. And KOTOR is Knight of The Old Republic, it's an older game too. I should be fine. But I may get back into Diablo 3, that took alot if I remeber correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I can over clock the 750, and with it being a FTW edition it should be able to handle even more overclocking
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

diablo 3 is pretty old now, you should be fine.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, it can overclock.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Have i answered everything to you satisfaction Jessie?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

You should see a big improvement with that new build. You may want to take some time and pick out the case you want, because that case can remain with you for years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I know.I played it before, and I play SWTOR but settings have to be all the way down. And for some reason KOTOR has lines all through it, like sticking into my character and the environment.... weird
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hard to say with that stock GPU - all bets are off with stock graphics.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Anything else i can help with? Are you good to go?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Jessie, i need to step away for a few Minutes. Are you happy with this build?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I'll check back. Please do leave me a rating as i did the best i could to help you.

- Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not satisfied with the answer but it is what it is. I didn't want to spend more money. And I'll take a look at the build as a whole a little later.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, you did in fact get an answer, of course i can't give everyone the answer they want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Talk to you later then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Good luck.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

You do realize that getting an answer does not always = fixed. I'll just put you in for a refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you sent me was pretty reasonable priced, so it won't be much damage to my wallet.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Yup, no problem. Next time you come here, realize the person helping you does not get paid when you do this.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. And thanks for that.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

So you know your abusing the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not true. You've earned my trust and if I need help putting everything together and getting the software setup I will definetly use this and with a succefull work of the project I have no problem paying.But I install CCTV cameras and Access Control and I wouldn't get paid if I came out and told a customer sorry, we can't fix your problem, but here are some solutions. I wouldn't feel right doing that and my boss wouldn't approve of that either. . Fact that happens sometimes, it's part of our business. But building a trust will create people returning and being ready to spend money cause they have someone reliable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope that makes sense. Even though your wanting dollars. Lol
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

It's fine, good luck.

Expert:  Chris Baxter replied 1 year ago.

First, you would need a new power supply for the Gateway, as the 300W power supply that is stock for that would not be ideal. Press delete for BIOS if you would like to continue ignoring the power output issues, then find the setting for "secure boot" and turn it off. Turn your "Launch CSM" from "Never" to "Always", restart. This should work to get the GTX 750 ti up and running. (Enabled the BIOS compatibility mode)

While I agree that Gateway is not the best for gaming, I am rolling a Mac OS 10.9.6 iMac All-in-one, also not the best for gaming, but she gets the job done with the right tweaks! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 700 watt Corsair PSU. And I already went over the BIOS thing 100 times prior to finally contacting yall. The last tech told me that I could not do anything. That Gateway is too locked down in their BIOS. I don't have any of those options.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is NO CSM launch, or Secure Boot.