Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP. Software Integration and Deployment Expert
23511658

Plex and Mac and AppleTv Do anyone know how to configure a

Customer Question

Plex and Mac and AppleTv
Do anyone know how to configure a Plex app in my home (Mac mini & Apple TV, western digital TV box) / (airport express).
I have it already set up but I want to improve my configuration as sometimes the Apple TV does not rewind and forward. Also, I want to make the unsupported Plex App Store plug in to work.
If you are an expert in Plex and Mac, pls contact me.
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

Once you extract the unsupported app store, you have to drop the Unsupported app store bundle into the plex media folder located @ HD>Library>ApplicationSupport. If you don't find it there, it may be under ~/Library instead. Once you do that, restart the plex media server and let me know your result.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi , i already Did that and even though I see the app in the server, I don't see it on the tv.
My other big issue, as I mention on my main message, I can not rewind or forward my mkv (torrent) movies I have in my Mac mini.

Sorry, I didn't see anything specific in your question about mkv files.

This is a common problem with MKV files when playing from a media server. They are more resource intensive to decode and it many setups, the MKV codec can't read the data, decode it, and send it fast enough to support FF and RW. Converting them is the best option. You can do that through a separate converter, or you could have Plex do it:

1. Load original MKV files Click “Add” button on the main interface to load your MKV files to the program. (Drag&Drop function is included.)

2. Select output format Click “Format” and choose MP4 from “Common Video” as output format, which can be recognized by Plex easily.

With the right settings you can retain the quality of the original videos while also saving space. This is particularly helpful when streaming over your network, depending on your network quality. Simply click Settings bar and you can tweak the settings to your satisfaction and even save it as preset.

3. Start MKV to Plex Conversion Finally, hit the "Convert" button at the bottom of the main interface to start the conversion. It will automatically convert MKV to Plex Media Servercompatible video files.

After the conversion, click "Open" to quickly find the converted movies. Then, Plex will recognize, catalog, play and stream these MKV files at ease.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, You are right, I did not mention specifically my issue about mkv. its happening with others mov files as mpeg,.mov. mp4
I don't know why the function rewind or forward does not work. I have tried different movies and does not work anyway.
On the other hand, I installed the unsupported app store and it went ok on the server, However I can not see it in the AppleTv.Many thanks for your kind support. Merry Christmas!

So are you able to view the .mkv files on other players through Plex? Just not on AppleTV?