Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

I have a question in regards to streaming Netflix on my lap

Customer Question

I have a question in regards ***** ***** Netflix on my lap top computer.
I have an old system and its giving me an error message of system requirements. I feel like I have enough requirements, but I am having trouble getting past this error.
Category: Software
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Your laptop is likely

fine from a hardware standpoint but may not meet requirements on the software side.

I'm thinking you may need to upgrade to a different browser. You can check what you need here:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

and compare it to what you have now. If you're running an older version of Windows you won't be able to upgrade to

the latest version of Internet Explorer but you can certainly get the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox.

You can get the Firefox here: www.mozilla.org

and you can get Chrome from here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl=en&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=%2Bchrome

Please take a moment before leaving to provide a rating using the stars at the top of the page

and clicking Submit

and have a happy holiday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the latest version of firefox.
I downloaded Chrome from the link you provided and tried playing Netflix again and received this:Whoops, something went wrong...Missing ComponentWe cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://components, locate the WidevineCdm component, and click the "Check for update" button.
For additional assistance resolving this issue, please visit our Help Center.
https://help.netflix.com/support/14759
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

OK. Open Chrome and in the address bar type: chrome://components and press Enter.

On the page that opens locate the WidevineCdm component. It's toward the bottom.

Since this is a new install the version should show as 0.0.0.0

Click the Check for Update button and let it update.

The version number should change to 1.4.8.866 (on a Windows 7 machine, your version number may be different)

Once the update is done, close and reopen Chrome and try Netflix again.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Once the component is updated you may have to take one more step if Netflix is still not working.

In the address bar on Chrome, type chrome://plugins and press Enter.

Locate the Widevine Content Decryption Module plug-in and select Enable if that option is shown.

Once you have made sure the WidevineCdm plug-in is enabled, try Netflix again.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Is Netflix now running on the computer?